Thread: UK Counter-Terrorism (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Citing one line by Outlaw09:
    all indications of virtually no security in place when he simply walked into the building when the performance was over....
    From my media watching that is simply wrong. The bomb went off in a public area, the venue's foyer is adjacent to and open to a train station concourse. He did not access the concert venue itself. The bomb detonated as the early concert leavers entered the public area, but the singer gave one more final son so most people stayed inside.

Added next day, the NYT report has photos and a diagram of he location.

Link:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/24/world/europe/manchester-arena-bomb-materials-photos.html?

That is why the British Transport Police, who cover the railway network, had initial primacy as it was in their jurisdiction. The BTP always have a uniform presence at such a station.

On the move more maybe later.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-26-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Add NYT link
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post

From my media watching that is simply wrong. The bomb went off in a public area, the venue's foyer is adjacent to and open to a train station concourse. He did not access the concert venue itself. The bomb detonated as the early concert leavers entered the public area, but the singer gave one more final son so most people stayed inside.

That is why the British Transport Police, who cover the railway network, had initial primacy as it was in their jurisdiction. The BTP always have a uniform presence at such a station.

Recheck all available video footage...all large metal gates were open into this entrance area and there is a not a single security person standing around and or next to them...and no search tables were present...

Secondly, the bomb blast flash was in fact in an enclosed area floor area as the flash literally lit up the entire roof area thus he was already in the public area just in front of the arena area......AFTER passing through the open metal security gates outside....had the event gone on longer he would have been inside the arena itself..question is why did he not wait....and was the bomb RC detonated....actually the numbers killed and or wounded are relatively small when looking as the actual blast flash.....when you think that 12 were killed and over 62 wounded in a simple truck crash here in Berlin....that covered a distance of 30 meters....

In all stadiums here for example all security systems remain in place even if they are further away from the actual event and police and or armed private security remain there as well....and metal detectors are in fashion now
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-25-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post

I am no SME by any means, but I am making an initial assumption that large events now possess at least minimal/reasonable levels of superficial security, and that attackers such as these may simply adapt slightly and look for offset non-secure choke points where people briefly mass.

When I think of the leaked technology/techniques used by UK Forces checkpoints in Northern Ireland in the 1970's/80's for intelligence analysis of IRA activity, I'm hopeful the heavy concentration of CCTV in U.K. mixed with Moore's Law will provide additional tools for LE leading up to an attack.

I would imagine CCTV footage of every single known suicide bomber and support team getting crunched for big data analysis for human behaviour pattern recognition might provide some potential early warning, like a pre-crime version of gunshot locators. Same goes for International Entry Customs CCTV.

I'm guessing an AI data scientist/human behaviour psychologist could fill in their own paycheque right about now.