In the right hand corner of the card is GTA 21-2-7 December 1970 (supercedes GTA 21-2-7 January 1969)

The title is:
Special Orders For All Military Personnel In Civil Disturbance Operations

There are 8 of them and I will paraphrase them below.

1-carry out your duties in a military manner and present a proper military appearance.

2-have regard for the human rights of all persons. be as nice as possible to civilians. do not mistreat anyone or withhold medical attention. do not destroy property unnecessarily.

3-use only the minimum amount of force to accomplish the mission or defend yourself. when under control of an officer load and fire your weapon only on command. when no officer is present load and fire to defend your self or others or designated property that is vital to public health and safety or to prevent the escape of persons that are a threat to public safety. not authorized to use firearms against suspects for misdemeanor offenses.

4-shoot to wound not to kill.

5-when possible let police arrest the offenders however when police are not present it is your duty and you have the authority to make arrest. transport them ASAP to proper detention facilities. help police protect evidence and fill out reports.

6-allow properly identified media all access so long as they do not interfere with your mission.

7-do not talk about this operation to civilians refer them to your commanding officer.

8-become familiar with these special orders and carry this card with you at all times when engaged in civil disturbance operations.

------------------------------------------------

Used to have a copy of the Riot Act.....the Proclamation that would be read through a bull horn ordering them to disperse before we started to disperse them. It is lost somewhere.

Almost went to the presidential conventions in 72....almost went to Wounded Knee after the Indians shot some FBI agents we had boarded the aircraft on that one. There was one other one but I can't remember it.

Of course there was the time when General Krosen (Division Commander) threatened to deploy the 1st Brigade against the 3rd Brigade on a 4th of July weekend... seems several cases of artillery simulators fell into insurgent custody and were being deployed all around Ft. Bragg.......the AO seemed to be concentrated in the on post officer housing area Just seemed like good Airborne training to me.