Thread: Blog Post Critique of FM 3.07

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blog Post Critique of FM 3.07

I found an interesting blog on International Aid that is hosted/written by Dr. William Easterly titled "Aid Watch". He's the author of the book “White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good”. There are a pair of posts on his blog that might be of particular interest to the SWJ Community; in one post titled "J'accuse: the US Army's Development Delusions" Dr. Easterly goes after FM 3-07 saying that "(m)ore in sorrow than in anger, I see the utopian social engineering craze might affect actions of people with guns. I am sad for Iraqis and Afghans that the U.S. Army is operating in their countries guided by such misguided ideas”. In a response to his critique, LTC Steve Leonard, from LTG Caldwell’s Commander’s Initiatives Group, argues that “the manual is not intended to serve as military solution to a much broader and more complex problem, but a guide for military leaders to better understand and execute their appropriate roles and responsibilities within the framework of national and international approaches to these operations”.

Dr. Easterly’ blog is a bit provocative, but I've found it interesting and the debate worth reading. Just thought I'd share in case it would interest anyone.

Default I don't think I'll follow his blog but he has a point with this:

"More in sorrow than in anger, I see the utopian social engineering craze might affect actions of people with guns."
    I could phrase it differently but his point, Armies are not the right people for the job, is more than valid.

Council Member

It sure makes the Obama Admin look weak, IMO, very weak and femmy when it comes to killing enemies - dragging ol' 'shotgun' Cheney into it, like a bunch of whining kids uncertain of themselves and needing a scapegoat in case something doesn't show well in the polls.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

we will …defeat insurgency, assist fragile states, and provide vital humanitarian aid to the suffering. …. to promote participation in government, spur economic development, and address the root causes of conflict among the disenfranchised populations of the world….{with} a comprehensive approach to stability operations that integrates the tools of statecraft with our military forces, international partners, humanitarian organizations, and the private sector.
    Correct me, if I'm wrong, but isn't that all about strategic aims?
    Isn't this a bit above the pay grade of those associated with issue concerned? Stability Operations, should support the strategy. Not the other way around.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but isn't that all about strategic aims?
    Answer: yes, certainly relates to lines of effort

Isn't this a bit above the pay grade of those associated with issue concerned?
    Answer: hardly, as they are inherent in stability operations to one degree or another, which are in support (hopefully) of a strategy

Tom

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Answer: yes, certainly relates to lines of effort

Answer: hardly, as they are inherent in stability operations to one degree or another, which are in support (hopefully) of a strategy

Tom
    OK, the content and purpose of the Manual is predicated, on explicitly stated strategic aims, such as,
    "address the root causes of conflict among the disenfranchised populations of the world."
    Am I the only person uncomfortable with that? Sounds like a an entirely political statement to me.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition