...which feels a lot better than being spun-up!

This thread reminds me of a contracting story told by RJ Hillhouse over at her neglected blog. It contains many elements of dysfunction that we probably all see in the current system. The one that strikes me is the experience mismatch between uniformed, government and civilian acquisitions/contractor personnel. In the Air Force, for example, many of the best acquisitions personnel, particularly the technical and science ones with advanced degrees, leave the service because the Air Force is stupid and doesn't mentor, nurture and promote them as it should. The result is that our supposed technology-focused service drives out the technical experts it needs to understand the technology and explain it to the service leadership who must make procurement decisions. I get the sense that the services often don't have the technical expertise to provide proper oversight and management.

Oh, and the process is probably just a bit overcomplicated. Click on the flowchart on that site - yes, it's one powerpoint slide! Need we say anything else?