Thread: The origins of war

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The origins of war

Over the summer I've am writing a paper on the origins of warfare. I've begun doing the actual writing however I'm still tweaking with my thesis. Though my thesis basically states that warfare evolved out of violent disagreements and archaic raids in pre-historic times although speculated. From which warfare constantly evolved and helped mark advancement in technology, strategy, and tactics. In addition to help mark the the rise of the political state. Like I said I'm still messing with it but I hope it turns out well in the end.

Any opinions or suggestions?

At least as it pertains to modern warfare: all wars are political. That is to say, they begin for political reasons. For the most part, they also end for politcal reasons.

Default Discovery channel to the rescue!

I recall a video of a hyaena pack and a lion pack. There was a dead zebra or gnu on the ground, and the hyaenas were feasting on it.

The lions approached and both packs began to threaten each other with gesture and voices.
    The lead female of the lion pack finally attacked and killed a hyaena, and the hyaenas withdrew.

We're a bit more sophisticated, of course.
    Not much different, though.

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default Definition of war

War is foreign policy at it's worst.

Default Determined any sources?

There are obvious challenges to "pre-historic", but have you found any other works on the topic?

About pre-historic; a mummy ("Ötzi") was found in the alps years ago. A thorough investigation found that the man died of a combat wound 5,300 years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oetzi

That's the oldest indication of human vs. human combat known to me (except religious texts).

Council Member

Default Heed Greyhawk's advice re: challenges ...

in drawing any firm conclusions on "primitive warfare".

Brief SWC thread here, where 120mm cites the 1995 dissertation "The Origin of War", by Dr. J.M.G. Van Der Dennen, which is still here. Interesting read; huge bibliography & discusses various theories. You will find a lot of controversy by following the obvious Google leads.

A proof of organized primitive warfare (Neolithic; one of many) is attached -"combate de arquero", from a Spanish cave (Morella la Vella, provincia de Castellón) - punch this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmm99; 07-20-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Council Member

Default Observation

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    I recall a video of a hyaena pack and a lion pack. There was a dead zebra or gnu on the ground, and the hyaenas were feasting on it.

The lions approached and both packs began to threaten each other with gesture and voices.
    The lead female of the lion pack finally attacked and killed a hyaena, and the hyaenas withdrew.

We're a bit more sophisticated, of course.
    Not much different, though.
    Fuchs is correct. War began from observations.

1. One tribe observed what the other tribe was doing, and observed a weakness within the other tribe. From that point war is one of interest.

2. One tribe observed what the other tribe was doing and grew fearful. The future was not apparent and the weaker tribe attacked the stronger tribe.

3. One tribe observed what the other tribe was doing and revolted out of honor.

Of course these are the three domains (interest, fear, and honor) that war is most-likely to happen in.

One tribe observes the other through brother's or sister's eyes. That includes, uncles, cousins, brother-inlaw, sister-inlaw, ect....

I kind of talk about it here. Of course it is just a thought.