Thread: UN reports record humanitarian aid shortfall

Council Member

Default UN reports record humanitarian aid shortfall

UN reports record humanitarian aid shortfall

Globe and Mail
    Laura MacInnis
    GENEVA — Reuters
    Last updated on Tuesday, Jul. 21, 2009 11:31AM EDT

The United Nations on Tuesday revealed a record $4.8-billion funding gap for its 2009 aid projects as a result of strained foreign assistance, widespread economic trouble and a ten-fold increase in needs in Pakistan.

“This recession is driving up humanitarian needs,” UN Emergency Relief Co-ordinator John Holmes told a news briefing in Geneva, where he held meetings with donor nations who will soon set their 2010 aid budgets.

A financing report prepared for those sessions stressed that the United Nations has received less than half the $9.5-billion it sought for humanitarian work this year. Yet some 43 million people need assistance this year, up from 28 million in 2008.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Perhaps rather than treating symptoms, the UN may want to re-examine its accounting and procurement practices to more efficiently use the money they do have...
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    Perhaps rather than treating symptoms, the UN may want to re-examine its accounting and procurement practices to more efficiently use the money they do have...
    Of course, that would require that the UN politicos be actually accountable to someone - unlikely .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Of course, that would require that the UN politicos be actually accountable to someone - unlikely .
    Much easier to call for more money and point accusing fingers....
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Much easier to call for more money and point accusing fingers....
    Too true - just ask any Canadian, we know all about overpriced bureaucrats and politicos ! It's really too bad since tehre actually are people who believe in public service although, I'll admit, they're rare as hen's teeth at the UN !
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Council Member

It's really too bad since tehre actually are people who believe in public service although, I'll admit, they're rare as hen's teeth at the UN !
    Although I realize its said partly in jest, Marc--but I will say I know a great many UN folks who put enormous effort into their work precisely because they believe in what they are doing.

On the broader issue of UN effectiveness, there are certainly inefficient UN staff and UN organizations. Those working frontline humanitarian assistance, however, generally do it quite well--and that's what the press report is addressing.

(I could add, on the issue of cost-effectiveness, that the $9.5 billion that the UN is seeking for 43 million people in crisis is equal to less than 2% of the US defense budget.)
    Last edited by Rex Brynen; 07-21-2009 at 10:56 PM.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    (I could add, on the issue of cost-effectiveness, that the $9.5 billion that the UN is seeking for 43 million people in crisis is is equal to less than 2% of the US defense budget.)
    I think many here would be in agreement that US defense spending is also way out of control.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Hi Rex,

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    On the broader issue of UN effectiveness, there are certainly inefficient UN staff and UN organizations. Those working frontline humanitarian assistance, however, generally do it quite well--and that's what the press report is addressing.
    Agreed on the frontline crowd - I know some of them and part of my dislike of the UN as an organization stems from watching good people trying to do a hellish job while parasites suck up their resources.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Default You get the understatement ofthe week award.

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    I think many here would be in agreement that US defense spending is also way out of control.
    no question...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    no question...
    I accept this award on behalf of all sarcastic, repressed, overtaxed Americans..
    -- Ken White

Hi Rex,

Agreed on the frontline crowd - I know some of them and part of my dislike of the UN as an organization stems from watching good people trying to do a hellish job while parasites suck up their resources.
    Quite so. I don't slag the dedicated frontline folks. It's the bloated bureaucracy that tends to get me.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War