Thread: We still don't grasp the value of translators

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Urban Dictionary

Another thing about DLI... The regular classes refuse to teach any slang or dirty words because they say that the kids will use them in class, which is true. One of the Iraqi teachers, however, came up with a great list of insults and slang for a class to teach other Arabs to be translators in Iraq.

Why are slang and insults useful? Then you know when people are talking sh** to you and know that the situation is going south. I was walking in a crowded Arab city with a female officer, who had been to DLI. Two guys in a storefront said something about her "bzaz" (####) and turned to follow us. When I looked at them and they saw that I recognized what they were saying, they turned around. Only reason why I knew bzaz was because I had learned it from an Arab soldier after I left DLI.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjmunson View Post
    Another thing about DLI... The regular classes refuse to teach any slang or dirty words...
    I would also add that it is useful because most people do not speak with textbook perfect grammar. I recall a team leader telling an interpreter to "tell that a-hole to get the f out of my face and start singing. We know this s*** is here. He can show us or we can turn the f-ing s-hole upside-down."

If English is not your first language, then you might have difficulty understanding what that means, especially if it is a tense situation and you're a little flustered.