Thread: We still don't grasp the value of translators

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Friedman
    .....Why aren't we sending more soldiers to DLI? We've had eight years to work on this, and we probably have at least eight more ahead of us. This is a critical skill that shouldn't be undervalued as it seemingly is now.
    Added emphasis is mine. I've voiced my feelings on this board before regarding the short-sighted approach DA took to language training in upmanning HUMINT - which used to be a language-dependent MOS. Rather than repeat myself, if anyone cares they can view those earlier posts here and here.

Default What if the Boss doesn't ask for the right things?

Reviewing this thread and Jedburgh's thread some then and now comparisons forcefully smacked me in the face. The difference between the language approach in Viet Nam (which was far from perfect but much better than today's efforts) and the HUMINT Troops lack of a language is simple.

We used to do what was right; today we do what the boss wants or is presumed to want. Thus my subject line.

Council Member

Default Brief comment

In my experience working with native Spanish and Portuguese speakers both as a soldier and civilian, I am more comfortable dealing directly with them with my 3/3/3 Spanish and somewhat lesser Portuguese than I would be having to work with an interpreter. You can usually work through words and phrases that you don't understand better w/o a terp, if your language is at an adequate level and your non-verbal (cultural) communication skills and intuitions are strong. So, the investment, IMO, should be in getting as many soldiers as possible (given the MOS) capable of functioning in the host language rather than trying for the perfect terp.

Must be the FAO in me talking.

Cheers

JohnT