Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australians in Afghanistan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    From the Kings of War blog we get this article:

The (Colour Sergeant) Bourne Legacy: Soldierly Discipline

Starts with:
    I am somewhat surprised that there was no response to the Kings of War blog entry.

This has been followed up with a response by the author to the comments made following his first entry.

Bourne (Again) Criticisms? A Review of the Commentary

Banned

Default ... the saga continues

A year or two ago I posted a link to a news story relating to 'problems' Australian forces were reportedly experiencing in Afghanistan. That post of mine was almost instantly deleted by some heavy handed moderator.

The article related to (IIRC) the frustration of Australian infantry deployed in Afghanistan in a non-offensive role which had led, it was reported, to increased drug abuse and even incidences of 'selling sex' (male or female was not specified) among Australian soldiers in theatre.

It appears that the previous two articles I posted links to deal with what should now be confirmed as serious issues among Australian troops.

Parallel to this is the ongoing sex and abuse scandals which never seem to go-away. The latest being:

Australian military abuse detailed in damning report

This follows after the previous report:

Sex scandal hits Australian military

Not picking on the Australian military but by way of an example how does one deal with a military which seems to be in a tail spin? Merely firing the generals may not be enough if the system is rotten to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    A year or two ago I posted a link to a news story relating to 'problems' Australian forces were reportedly experiencing in Afghanistan. That post of mine was almost instantly deleted by some heavy handed moderator.

The article related to (IIRC) the frustration of Australian infantry deployed in Afghanistan in a non-offensive role which had led, it was reported, to increased drug abuse and even incidences of 'selling sex' (male or female was not specified) among Australian soldiers in theatre.

It appears that the previous two articles I posted links to deal with what should now be confirmed as serious issues among Australian troops.

Parallel to this is the ongoing sex and abuse scandals which never seem to go-away. The latest being:

Australian military abuse detailed in damning report

This follows after the previous report:

Sex scandal hits Australian military

Not picking on the Australian military but by way of an example how does one deal with a military which seems to be in a tail spin? Merely firing the generals may not be enough if the system is rotten to the core.
    I am curious about the assertion of 'seems to be in a tail spin'. What specific objective evidence, within the context of the ADF's role and operational tasking, do you offer to support such hyperbole?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    I am curious about the assertion of 'seems to be in a tail spin'. What specific objective evidence, within the context of the ADF's role and operational tasking, do you offer to support such hyperbole?
    Ah... a defensive knee jerk reaction from an Aussie.

Lets start with the meaning of the word seems (a sample):

1. Used to make a statement or description of one's thoughts, feelings, or actions less assertive or forceful.

2. To appear to one's own opinion or mind

3. To give the impression of being; appear

etc etc.

Right I will answer your question and expect you to respond to the substance of my recent posts.

A small military (103,000 ?) such as Australia has seems to be getting a lot of bad press recently. If one reads the articles linked by me in previous posts it would appear/seem/look as if there are major disciplinary problems in the Australian military.

I also know that (have been told) that there is a lock down on information relating to the 'CO's Report'. I have managed to get a copy of 20 odd paragraphs of it (but have been sworn to secrecy on my source).

I guess a statement or rebuttal from official sources is unlikely so readers will have to be forgiven if they speculate on just how bad the situation is.

So ... all that said ... back to my question.

If a nation/country/military is faced with a disciplinary 'problem' as it seems/appears/looks Australia is from what is available in the media how is it best dealt with?

The Canadian Airborne Regiment was disbanded after the Somalia affair... and there I was thinking that discipline begins with the officers.

Default Diggers to go

Australia will withdraw most troops from Afghanistan's south at the end of this year and shut down a major base for NATO-led forces, handing security to Afghan soldiers and police, Defense Minister Stephen Smith said on Tuesday.
    Link:http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92O13E20130325

This not unexpected, but appears to be a year early. The position of their SOF is less clear:
    Australia had not yet decided whether special forces troops would remain in Afghanistan next year or after 2014, Smith said, with negotiations still underway with the Afghan government.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Australians in Afghanistan

More of a pre-withdrawal review article and copied here:The Long Road: Uruzgan, Afghanistan, on the Path to Stability
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-23-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Copied here

Default PM says Australia's longest war ending

A quick summary, with an interesting, possibly unique political point:
    Prime Minister Tony Abbott has declared a symbolic end to 'Australia's longest war', even though about 400 troops will remain in Afghanistan next year and perhaps beyond...Accompanied by Opposition Leader Bill Shorten in the first ever bipartisan visit....
    The Diggers next role, including SOF:
    However, some 400 will remain in a variety of non-combat roles including mentoring of the Afghan National Army (ANA) 205 Corps headquarters in Kandahar and of instructors at the ANA Officer Academy in Kabul. A small group of 18 special forces soldiers will remain in an advisory role in Kabul.
    Link:http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories...aspx?id=919542
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-12-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: 22,735v when re-opened today. Closed October 2013.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Australians in Afghanistan

'Land, Kill and Leave': How Australian Special Forces Helped Lose the War in Afghanistan

This article is one of series released by ABC today; on a quick review some of the allegations have been in the Australian public domain before, now they have documents to support the series.

Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-12-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Copied from SWJ Blog as potentially significant.

Default Standing up, not shooting: the 'compassionate psychopaths' of the SAS

An article from the Sydney Morning Herald and reflective on what happened to the Australian SAS. Here are two short passages:
    A traditional role of applying and gathering intelligence had been displaced by a lust for kill counts....A traditional role of applying and gathering intelligence had been displaced by a lust for kill counts.
    Link:https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...01-p4zux2.html
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-05-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: 35,239v
    davidbfpo