Thread: Civilian Casualties, Religion, and COIN Operations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My comprehension isn't great

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    It may be worth ensuring the difference between what you said and I said is well delineated. Don't want any major confusion or misconceptions on the part of casual or skim readers.
    and I can prove that. I still do not fully understand your point as stated in the paragraph of yours that you and I quoted. Still, leaving that aside and going to this:
    This to me is why trying to approach how to's on any given conflict without taking into account and accepting that whatever those standards are they can and most certainly will affect how things work out would seem to be asking for a major @#$% kicking.
    Agreed.
    To para-phrase anyone who seeks to develop strategy without acknowledging that the political aims and or strengths/weaknesses of both parties isn't gonna get it right.
    Agreed.
    Absolutely, that statement however does leave out the reality that regardless of the missions non-sociality these are still soldiers who represent a given standard of social (values). (Read Army/Navy/Marines/AF Values).
    Can these be left out of planning without effecting the expectations for actions?
    They should not be but often are because the egos of the planners cannot visualize that the affected States may not be like nor want to be like said Planners.
    I can do most the same things with a sledge hammer, a mallet, or a regular hammer. I guess I just figure I might want to be aware of what I'm building before I decide which one to use
    Agreed -- that was sort my point with the added fillip that anyone who expects Soldiers to do morality or social norms might not like what they get. So by all means, we should decide what we're building before we start pounding nails -- we should also be willing in addition to the hammer(s) to use a drill and some screws to avoid excessive pounding that might weaken parts of the structure...

For some reason double posted so please del
    Last edited by Ron Humphrey; 07-26-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Post Here goes nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    and I can prove that. I still do not fully understand your point as stated in the paragraph of yours that you and I quoted.
    Very sorry for that I shall do my best to more clearly state that which I so enthusiastically attempted early this morn

It's about balance.

No govt. will see much peace as long as it is based and led by purely political goals without regard to the human quality amongst its populous that is those things which culturally/ religiously/ or socially are held in high esteem.

Yes you can have a govt that couldn't careless but the point is as long as thats the case there will always be major undercurrents against which they must prepare.

In the same vein no govt can or will find itself at peace if it is purely and wholly directed by a given set of values (take your pick) to the exclusion of any others which may not precisely conform to the govt expectations.

Values may not necessarily define a person but they will always have an effect on how they interact with those in authority over them.

Probably just made it worse but I have at least attempted not to

(Note: Regarding times of peace the implied long term peace in the above should be seen to refer to multiple decades to centuries and beyond. )
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Post After re-reading through my former post

It seems prudent to add a little bit more

Accepting that the statements made are rather absolutist they still seem fairly correct.

It is probably important however to follow with this-

The reality of human variances in manner/thought/ and deed means just about no society ever exists in complete peace but it does seem at least from my studies that those which experience the least amount of violent conflict are those which focus on ensuring that to the greatest extent possible the majority of groups which make up their populous at least feel as though they can live as they believe without having to fight governmental processes to do so.