View Poll Results: Are all societies and cultures morally equal?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

4 11.43%
  • No.

31 88.57%

Thread: Are all societies and cultures morally equal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are all societies and cultures morally equal?

Are all societies and cultures morally equal?

You realize, of course, that this is a very loaded question for a simple "yes" or "no" answer

If morality is how well one adheres to their professed values...well I think it has been well stated that "...all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God..."

If morality is how I, from my position of cultural values assess another from his position of cultural values I get a biased relative answer to that same question.

That said, I think the answer is "no," but its complicated.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Council Member

Default A "yes" would be logically valid ...

IF and only IF all societies and cultures were exactly the same.

The same logic applies to the question: Are all persons morally equal ? - except that there, there is an exception (in my theology) because all persons are created morally equal. What happens after that is unique to each individual.

Since societies and cultures are ongoing collectives of persons, that theological exception, applicable to each of its members, cannot logically apply to those collective entities.

This has to be a Sunday morning question.

Council Member

Default Agree with both Bob and JMM

But here's another perspective. Extreme cultural relativism argues the moral equivalence of all cultures. Yet, some activities pursued by particular cultures are simply not acceptable and in the extreme risk the survival of the culture. There is a distinct religious subculture in the US called the Shakers. Essentially harmless, their belief that all sex is sinful stops them from procreating. They survive - barely - on converts and one day there won't be any converts; then their culture will die having committed cultural suicide. Their beliefs are simply self-destructive.

Full disclaimer: I grew up in a community where they once lived and now named for them, Shaker Hts. OH. All that is left is a name and several lakes they built by damming Doan Brook.

Cheers

JohnT
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-26-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Get bold to show properly

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    some activities pursued by particular cultures are simply not acceptable and in the extreme risk the survival of the culture. There is a distinct religious subculture in the US called the Shakers. Essentially harmless, their belief that [B]all[B] sex is sinful stops them from procreating. They survive - barely - on converts and one day there won't be any converts; then their culture will die having committed cultural suicide. Their beliefs are simply self-destructive.
    That would of course be immoral if we assume that survival is a moral imperative.

The question is only relevant if we have a consensus definition for the term "moral". If you believe that "morality" is an externally sourced absolute, then you will of course not believe that societies and cultures are morally equal, though among those who believe in externally sourced absolute morality there will be a good deal of disagreement about what exactly that moral code calls for. Every self-appointed mouthpiece for the absolute seems to have their own ideas on the subject.

If you believe that "morality" lies in actually following one's own professed beliefs, than we are probably all immoral, though perhaps unequally so.

Council Member

Maybe it is intentional, but the question is objectively meaningless without additional context since morality is closely tied to culture and both are inherently subjective. It's kind of like asking if all flavors of ice cream are equally good. In an abstract philosophical sense - maybe. In the real world with real people, not at all.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    That would of course be immoral if we assume that survival is a moral imperative.

The question is only relevant if we have a consensus definition for the term "moral". If you believe that "morality" is an externally sourced absolute, then you will of course not believe that societies and cultures are morally equal, though among those who believe in externally sourced absolute morality there will be a good deal of disagreement about what exactly that moral code calls for. Every self-appointed mouthpiece for the absolute seems to have their own ideas on the subject.

If you believe that "morality" lies in actually following one's own professed beliefs, than we are probably all immoral, though perhaps unequally so.

I think you about covered it all the way around....excellant answer!

Default The True Meaning of This question

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    IF and only IF all societies and cultures were exactly the same.
    Actually there are two ways that cultures could all be morally equal, the first is if they are all the same. The second is if there is actually no objective moral standard against which to judge them. You could say a third which is that the moral standard is either ambiguous enough or ambivalent enough that there is no way to judge them. While I see the distinction, I believe that is just weaseling out of the question.

Insofar as all cultures are not the same, and I accept a potential objective moral standard against which cultures could be judged, I must accept that all cultures are not morally equivalent. I can do so without positing that "my" culture is morally superior, or knowing or positing any possible morally superior culture.
    Last edited by SWJED; 07-28-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Fix Quote tag.
    Audentes adiuvat fortuna
    "Abu Suleyman"