Thread: 'Nigeria: the context for violence' (2006-2013)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default BBC - Welcome to Lagos

Have you guys watched this BBC documentary "Welcome to Lagos"?

Helps you understand Nigeria better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKLIpz9F5c

Council Member

Default Nigerian Senator arrested over Boko Haram

SECURITY agents last night arrested a Senator who a suspect named as a Boko Haram sponsor.
    Senator Ali Ndume (Borno), who is being held by the State Security Services (SSS), is likely to face trial today in Abuja.
    The Nation learnt also that 13 suspects have been arrested by the Joint Task Force in connection with the recent bombings in Damaturu, Yobe State.
    Ndume will be arraigned in court with some members of the sect already in SSS custody, sources said.
    A source, who pleaded not to be named for security reasons, broke to The Nation news of the senator’s arrest at about 10.20pm.
    He said: “He is presently being detained in SSS custody, pending his arraignment in court.
    “Based on the confession of some Boko Haram suspects in custody, we have interrogated Ndume and he has made a statement accordingly. We are going to charge him to court on Tuesday (today) with some of the suspects in our custody.
    Reinforces the fear that certain elements with the Northern elite are behind Boko Haram. The North could come out from this entire Boko Haram crisis, weakened.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    Have you guys watched this BBC documentary "Welcome to Lagos"?

Helps you understand Nigeria better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKLIpz9F5c
    I just finished watching the entire first episode. I have live 25 years of my life in Africa. Most of it (23 yrs) in very rural villages among pastoralists in Kenya and agriculturalists in Benin. In those years I came to understand that the poorest of the poor, those who have the toughest life are, for the most part, those who live in the cities.

These people, as you say, despite their hard work, are easily swayed by the blame game that can come from Islamicists, Christians, or politicians of any ilk. As long as poverty reigns, they will be swayed from one side to the other. That is not say that they do not think for themselves....as if we in the West think for ourselves jaja.

I have often said to my spoiled university students in the West, the only difference, the only REAL difference between me and these people is that I came out of my mother's womb in nice hospital in L.A. California and they came out in a mud hut. I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I did nothing to earn it (not really sure it is a blessing sometimes).

It is interesting to read some of the comments at the sites where the film is hosted. Some of the more educated and members of the elite families take real exception at such a portrayal of Nigerians. In reality, the life of those in dump is not theirs.

After being involved in Africa for so many years, the predicament of those in poverty effects me more than ever. Yet, I will not let it stymie me, I will find ways to act. Ways in which help people and hinder terrorists.

Thanks for the link, KingJaJa.