Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Nigeria: the context for violence' (2006-2013)

Council Member

This story from Reuters shows just how enmeshed the Boko Haram movement is at every level of Nigerian society. Nigeria security says politicians sponsor Islamists http://mobile.reuters.com/regional/a...121?edition=af

Quote Originally Posted by Chowing View Post
    Having worked in Benin for 9 years, and fluent in one ethnic group's language (Adja), I understand to some extent the influence of ethnicity in the region. For anyone working in or advising on terrorist activities in the region, they must have an understanding of ethnicity and worldview of those they are working among. Of course, Africans in the region have the best understanding of that, outsiders can and should learn more.
    Totally agree with you and there are quite a few of us that have your time and understanding in the region. This however is not the norm; some people don't want to be there and their assignment is just as much a pain in the Alpha for them as it is for the rest of us trying to comprehend and make a difference. Don't sell us all short too soon.

I wonder what type of cultural training US troops, especially officers receive who are working or monitoring the region?
    That would depend on so many factors. We discussed the FAO program and its benefits and drawbacks on the AFRICOM and FAO threads. In the last 15 years the military has made a concerted effort to prepare people for assignments abroad. In addition to being expensive, it is time consuming and not everyone is considered for intensive pre-deployment training. Let's face it, some people will never pick up a foreign language and there has to be a bar.

What were you provided in the way of cultural training before your first day on the continent ? I learned very little other than some language training to prepare me for Zaire. Cultural training takes place with the culture in question. We are not going to find it in Berlin or Texas !

Nor should it be our style. We care, we just struggle with how to effectively help. The issues and circumstances are so complex. This forum is one of many that need to take place so that thinkers from within and without can dialog and advise. We have to give come up with a solutions, for us and them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hmmm, I think we have sufficient disparity at home and should be concentrating on our problems and national debt. The average US citizen doesn't realize that we have unrest and terrorism in our back yard. We could bring all our diplomats and soldiers home and baton down the hatches (close the borders), and just watch the fireworks on TV, but that's not our style.
    I hope you're right and the decision makers are taking notes. I have some serious doubts and have some stories to support that doubt.

I did serve in Africa, 25 years of my life. I have been involved in Africa for close to 40 years. We Americans want to see quick change and a quick return for our efforts. That is just not going to happen. Knowing that should not weaken our commitment to assist, but we must listen to Africans, learn from them.
    I'm happy to hear that your concerns and thoughts are based on experience and not some blogger's dreams. I knew there was something more than just a blogger with you

I know all of this is easier said than done. Commitment and trust, not blind trust, but informed trust is important.
    I'm only going to repeat this for the 100th time - The US Military do not determine their destination or mission. The US Administration does. "Informed" would then assume the information is in fact the real deal and not some politically-prepared statement. Even the military can't fix that snafu.
    Last edited by Stan; 11-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Jaja,
    If you're referring to the 2008 war gaming at Carlisle you should probably check a few US sources because the stories/rumors/versions are quite different from that of the Concerned African Scholars. Just a suggestion. I also have a hard time weighing the stories and I have access to AKO, etc.

War Gaming and Bilateral military exercises are not a preparatory stage for intervention and I might add, those war games and military exercises were taking place before AFRICOM was around.

Someone sent me this link but failed to read the last line.
    Once again we go into the problem of perception, and the inability to counter negative messages. Everyone in Nigeria is of the opinion that US wants to intervene in Nigeria to protect its interests in the Oil and Gas Industry. There are several versions of the story all over the web, each with a different twist.

There has been no rebuttal or explanation from the US Government, so the assumption is that that is the USG is complicit. Another version of the story with additional twist:

The US will likely favor such a breakup for obvious reasons- the current leader of Nigeria thumped his finger in the US nose, clearly rejecting the installation of US AFRICOM military command in Nigeria. Nigeria’s government has also of recent signed deals with Russia and Iran for major resource, military and power(Nuclear generation) mutual ventures. This alliance possibly does not sit well with the US. In addition, Nigeria has been promoting development, not by serving US interest but by cooperation’s with so-called third world Nations like Brazil.
    Then we go again to the perception problem:

Thus, when General Ward appeared before the House Armed Services Committee on March 13, 2008, he cited America's growing dependence on African oil as a priority issue for Africom and went on to proclaim that combating terrorism would be "Africom's number one theater-wide goal." He barely mentioned development, humanitarian aid, peacekeeping or conflict resolution.

And in a presentation by Vice Admiral Moeller at an Africom conference held at Fort McNair on February 18, 2008 and subsequently posted on the web by the Pentagon, he declared that protecting "the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market" was one of Africom's "guiding principles" and specifically cited "oil disruption," "terrorism," and the "growing influence" of China as major "challenges" to U.S. interests in Africa.

Since then, as General Ward has demonstrated in an interview with AllAfrica, he has become more adept at sticking to the U.S. government's official public position on Africom's aims and on its escalating military operations on the African continent.
    These are no longer the eighties or nineties. Africans have more access to information than they did in the past. The problem is that the USG and US diplomatic community hasn't evolved to appreciate the new reality. Anyway, how do you expect them to when the average USG operative in Africa is increasingly isolated from the local environment, hiding in secluded fortress-like embassies.

Council Member

This story from Reuters shows just how enmeshed the Boko Haram movement is at every level of Nigerian society. Nigeria security says politicians sponsor Islamists http://mobile.reuters.com/regional/a...121?edition=af
    Have you heard about the 3Gs of African politics? Guns, goons and gold.

Interesting to note that the Niger Delta militancy really took off after the 1999 elections - former political thugs/muscles for hire decided to apply their skills elsewhere.

There is also evidence of links between politicians in the Niger Delta and Niger Delta militants - both parties have use for each other.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    Have you heard about the 3Gs of African politics? Guns, goons and gold..
    Nope, but it makes sense, not only in Africa

There is also evidence of links between politicians in the Niger Delta and Niger Delta militants - both parties have use for each other.
    I saw to day on twitter that some are claiming that Boko Haram is itself a de-facto political party. I know twitter is not the best place to get scholarly information, but it does give one a sense what people are saying. As you said in a previous message many Nigerians (African everywhere) are on the net. In fact, as a side note, Africans are using mobile devises in creative, very useful ways.

Once again we go into the problem of perception, and the inability to counter negative messages. Everyone in Nigeria is of the opinion that US wants to intervene in Nigeria to protect its interests in the Oil and Gas Industry. There are several versions of the story all over the web, each with a different twist.
    I have to disagree. Dictators thumping fingers at the thought of an installation or any other gesture is again all about perception and not viewed as something serious. It only cements the current naive thoughts in American and precludes dialog. I'm not the oil and gas expert herein, but the numbers reflected on the internet suggest Nigeria's percentage of all imports to the US are 8%. I'm certain the current administration doesn't like the hint of Iran or Russian getting ahead, but then, we're back to perception, or better stated, misconception when playing by American rules on the African soccer field.

The US will likely favor such a breakup for obvious reasons- the current leader of Nigeria thumped his finger in the US nose, clearly rejecting the installation of US AFRICOM military command in Nigeria. Nigeria’s government has also of recent signed deals with Russia and Iran for major resource, military and power(Nuclear generation) mutual ventures. This alliance possibly does not sit well with the US. In addition, Nigeria has been promoting development, not by serving US interest but by cooperation’s with so-called third world Nations like Brazil.
    The text is intriguing, but would appreciate a link to the article please

There has been no rebuttal or explanation from the US Government, so the assumption is that that is the USG is complicit. Another version of the story with additional twist:
    Part of the Public Affairs Officer's job is to NOT do the "he said she said" because that often leads to greater confusion and people are human and prone to mistakes. This obviously creates perception by not countering negative message nor promoting positive messages. If things could be so simple.

These are no longer the eighties or nineties. Africans have more access to information than they did in the past. The problem is that the USG and US diplomatic community hasn't evolved to appreciate the new reality. Anyway, how do you expect them to when the average USG operative in Africa is increasingly isolated from the local environment, hiding in secluded fortress-like embassies.
    Would have to agree. Won't get far hiding in the fish bowl.
    Operatives ? Catchy title just doesn't fit 99% of the personnel at post. Now we would be in the eighties and nineties.

Council Member

Totally agree with you and there are quite a few of us that have your time and understanding in the region. This however is not the norm; some people don't want to be there and their assignment is just as much a pain in the Alpha for them as it is for the rest of us trying to comprehend and make a difference. Don't sell us all short too soon.
    Being on here just a few days has given this "former hippie" a better understanding and respect for some of you in uniform. I did not realize, my bad, that any US military folks had any long term experience in the region.

That would depend on so many factors. We discussed the FAO program and its benefits and drawbacks on the AFRICOM and FAO threads. In the last 15 years the military has made a concerted effort to prepare people for assignments abroad. In addition to being expensive, it is time consuming and not everyone is considered for intensive pre-deployment training. Let's face it, some people will never pick up a foreign language and there has to be a bar.
    I will take a look on that thread. Just one more question on that point. Who does the training, military personnel, experienced civilians, or Africans?
    What were you provided in the way of cultural training before your first day on the continent ? I learned very little other than some language training to prepare me for Zaire. Cultural training takes place with the culture in question. We are not going to find it in Berlin or Texas !
    Well, back in 1972 when I first went to Kenya my training was only in cultural anthropology and innovative change. As you say, I picked up almost all of my understanding on the field. I became fluent in Swahili and Kalenjin. Language is a HUGE plus in understanding people and being understood and taken seriously.

I hope you're right and the decision makers are taking notes. I have some serious doubts and have some stories to support that doubt.
    Are there any diplomats on this forum?

Council Member

I saw to day on twitter that some are claiming that Boko Haram is itself a de-facto political party. I know twitter is not the best place to get scholarly information, but it does give one a sense what people are saying. As you said in a previous message many Nigerians (African everywhere) are on the net. In fact, as a side note, Africans are using mobile devises in creative, very useful ways.
    There is a perception among the Christian/non-Muslim population that some elements of the Northern elite support Boko Haram. (As a means to destabilise the Southern-led government at Abuja).

It's not just Boko Haram. After a Southerner (Christian) became president in 1999, there was a flurry of announcements declaring Sharia rule in Northern states (as Muslim governors in the North competed for who would be declared as "defender of the faithful, against infidels").

President Obasanjo regarded the declaration of Sharia law, not the Niger Delta as his greatest challenge.

Finally, as literacy levels in the South are much higher than in the North, the twitter messages will tend to reflect the views of the South.

Being on here just a few days has given this "former hippie" a better understanding and respect for some of you in uniform. I did not realize, my bad, that any US military folks had any long term experience in the region.
    Glad that we can see the world through clear glasses. The hippie era was not a bad one and many of us were envious. We just ended up on the other side of the USG Becoming an Africa Hand (not sure if I like that description) has its blessings but that does not mean everybody will listen. There's about 15 of us herein. Watch out

I will take a look on that thread. Just one more question on that point. Who does the training, military personnel, experienced civilians, or Africans?
    All of the above and then some. Even some anthropologists are involved depending on the training and post abroad.

Well, back in 1972 when I first went to Kenya my training was only in cultural anthropology and innovative change. As you say, I picked up almost all of my understanding on the field. I became fluent in Swahili and Kalenjin. Language is a HUGE plus in understanding people and being understood and taken seriously.
    Yep, hard to comprehend culture without language. I ended up with Lingala as the majority of the Zairian Army spoke Lingala.

Are there any diplomats on this forum?
    Yes and no. Is a diplomat one who has a diplomatic passport or is declared a diplomat ? At one time I had both, but had no clue what all that actually meant and just tried to do my job. SIGH

Seriously, there are several herein in many forms. My description may not be accurate as it is but my opinion

Council Member

The link is from allAfrica.com: http://allafrica.com/stories/200908140153.html.

Part of the Public Affairs Officer's job is to NOT do the "he said she said" because that often leads to greater confusion and people are human and prone to mistakes. This obviously creates perception by not countering negative message nor promoting positive messages. If things could be so simple.
    Great, the best way to play on African soil with Africans is by American rules. I have a feeling that since the US withdrew from Africa after the fall of the Soviet Union, they haven't really come back.

Another variation of the same story: US Army Prepares for Nigeria’s Possible Break-up (2015) - http://www.newsrescue.com/2009/08/us...break-up-2015/

Then there are Hollywood movies like "Tears of the Sun" - central theme is US intervention in Nigeria.

Opinion shapers will spin messages from the Internet and combine them with images from Hollywood to create a narrative that will eagerly devoured by the gullible.

Council Member

Did you hear that your Al Jazeera friends now plan to broadcast in Swahili? Seems like wherever Al Qaeda and the US Military go, Al Jazeera sets up shop.

http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2...wahili-service

Council Member

Did you hear that your Al Jazeera friends now plan to broadcast in Swahili? Seems like wherever Al Qaeda and the US Military go, Al Jazeera sets up shop.

http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2...wahili-service
    I had not heard that, but not surprised. The first place I go to look for African news, after allAfrica, is Al Jazeera. As you said in another message, they cover Africa more indepth, and I, too, watched them on DSTV.

The link is from allAfrica.com: http://allafrica.com/stories/200908140153.html.
    Thanks ! But, it is verbatim from the link I provided. With a slight twist, courtesy of the author, we have pure mayhem.

Great, the best way to play on African soil with Africans is by American rules. I have a feeling that since the US withdrew from Africa after the fall of the Soviet Union, they haven't really come back.
    Regret any confusion, Jaja, but the "hit" was on America for trying to play by our rules on an African soccer field, and not the other way around.
    I went into great detail on the AFRICOM threads regarding the fall of the Soviet Union and our "so called" departure. Could have been done better, but the new administration was not having anything to do with the Reagan and Bush era "blind and deaf human rights policies" and former dictators. The "departure" really only brought us back to what the guiding principles dictated in the first place. This is not to say the Africans were at fault and the Americans simply departed. If it could be so easy to describe

Another variation of the same story: US Army Prepares for Nigeria’s Possible Break-up (2015) - http://www.newsrescue.com/2009/08/us...break-up-2015/
    Oh, c'mon already - the link is pure propaganda and you just fed me a dissertation on how much the Africans have evolved and use the internet. One of my jobs was to read the local papers nearly every morning and tell my boss what I thought (as he could not read Lingala nor fully comprehend the cultural spin generally put on all the articles from underground sources). This is just that, propaganda addressing a naive public based on one article (that literally says nothing) and wire feed after wire feed.

Then there are Hollywood movies like "Tears of the Sun" - central theme is US intervention in Nigeria.
    I would almost be tempted to respond, but you did a perfect job below. So, part of informing the public is to screw with their suspicions til they riot, pillage and plunder ? That won't accomplish much.

Opinion shapers will spin messages from the Internet and combine them with images from Hollywood to create a narrative that will eagerly devoured by the gullible.
    I can't imagine what I would think reading our thread, had I never stepped foot in Africa. It's no wonder our public are in the dark. I'd make half of the rich and film industry go there for six months on my wages with the expectation that they solve all your problems and learn a foreign language in 13 weeks, all the while performing every task to perfection without the remote risk of being misinterpreted. Good luck with that, Dude.

Council Member

Oh, c'mon already - the link is pure propaganda and you just fed me a dissertation on how much the Africans have evolved and use the internet. One of my jobs was to read the local papers nearly every morning and tell my boss what I thought (as he could not read Lingala nor fully comprehend the cultural spin generally put on all the articles from underground sources). This is just that, propaganda addressing a naive public based on one article (that literally says nothing) and wire feed after wire feed.

You don't understand where I was coming from. In my dad's generation it was Radio Peace and Progress, Moscow on one side and BBC, VOA on another. Today, there are a plethora of actors, each with an agenda. That story will be warmed up, redressed and served to the public this time next month. And it will be eaten up.

Don't get me wrong, Africans are by and large, better informed. However, they are more willing to believe stories that reinforce their fears. (Just like a certain segment of the US population considers Muslims, the United Nations and the Council on Foreign Relations as pure evil).

The advent of the Internet has not mitigated these fears, but amplified them.

Are all these people naive? Not in every sense of the word.

My point is that just as the US was successful in getting its message out during the Cold War era, it should make just a little more effort to get its message out today. Can the US live with the present state of affairs? Yes. Presently as things stand, is there an overwhelming strategic case for the US to be more involved in the public diplomacy arena in Africa? Not really, the US has a lot of money and money has a voice of its own.

It is a nice "to-have" and good investment for the future.

Council Member

Default BBC - Welcome to Lagos

Have you guys watched this BBC documentary "Welcome to Lagos"?

Helps you understand Nigeria better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKLIpz9F5c

Council Member

Default Nigerian Senator arrested over Boko Haram

SECURITY agents last night arrested a Senator who a suspect named as a Boko Haram sponsor.
    Senator Ali Ndume (Borno), who is being held by the State Security Services (SSS), is likely to face trial today in Abuja.
    The Nation learnt also that 13 suspects have been arrested by the Joint Task Force in connection with the recent bombings in Damaturu, Yobe State.
    Ndume will be arraigned in court with some members of the sect already in SSS custody, sources said.
    A source, who pleaded not to be named for security reasons, broke to The Nation news of the senator’s arrest at about 10.20pm.
    He said: “He is presently being detained in SSS custody, pending his arraignment in court.
    “Based on the confession of some Boko Haram suspects in custody, we have interrogated Ndume and he has made a statement accordingly. We are going to charge him to court on Tuesday (today) with some of the suspects in our custody.
    Reinforces the fear that certain elements with the Northern elite are behind Boko Haram. The North could come out from this entire Boko Haram crisis, weakened.

Council Member

Have you guys watched this BBC documentary "Welcome to Lagos"?

Helps you understand Nigeria better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKLIpz9F5c
    I just finished watching the entire first episode. I have live 25 years of my life in Africa. Most of it (23 yrs) in very rural villages among pastoralists in Kenya and agriculturalists in Benin. In those years I came to understand that the poorest of the poor, those who have the toughest life are, for the most part, those who live in the cities.

These people, as you say, despite their hard work, are easily swayed by the blame game that can come from Islamicists, Christians, or politicians of any ilk. As long as poverty reigns, they will be swayed from one side to the other. That is not say that they do not think for themselves....as if we in the West think for ourselves jaja.

I have often said to my spoiled university students in the West, the only difference, the only REAL difference between me and these people is that I came out of my mother's womb in nice hospital in L.A. California and they came out in a mud hut. I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I did nothing to earn it (not really sure it is a blessing sometimes).

It is interesting to read some of the comments at the sites where the film is hosted. Some of the more educated and members of the elite families take real exception at such a portrayal of Nigerians. In reality, the life of those in dump is not theirs.

After being involved in Africa for so many years, the predicament of those in poverty effects me more than ever. Yet, I will not let it stymie me, I will find ways to act. Ways in which help people and hinder terrorists.

Thanks for the link, KingJaJa.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

My point is that just as the US was successful in getting its message out during the Cold War era, it should make just a little more effort to get its message out today. Can the US live with the present state of affairs? Yes. Presently as things stand, is there an overwhelming strategic case for the US to be more involved in the public diplomacy arena in Africa? Not really, the US has a lot of money and money has a voice of its own.

It is a nice "to-have" and good investment for the future.
    I really don't want to see the US Government trying to deny or refute every rumour that flies around. It's pointless: anyone who believes the rumour won't believe the denial, and the stream of rumours is endless. It also plays into the hands of the propagandists... as they say, "let's make the bastards deny it". Better to ignore it.

Actions speak louder than words. The best way to debunk the rumour that the US wants to intervene in Nigeria is to not intervene in Nigeria. Of course there will be provocations from people who want the US to intervene, but the only way to deal with that is to stay the course and follow the policy. If we establish a knee-jerk policy of allowing provocation to suck us into intervention, there will never be an end to provocation.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

I really don't want to see the US Government trying to deny or refute every rumour that flies around. It's pointless: anyone who believes the rumour won't believe the denial, and the stream of rumours is endless. It also plays into the hands of the propagandists... as they say, "let's make the bastards deny it". Better to ignore it.

Actions speak louder than words. The best way to debunk the rumour that the US wants to intervene in Nigeria is to not intervene in Nigeria. Of course there will be provocations from people who want the US to intervene, but the only way to deal with that is to stay the course and follow the policy. If we establish a knee-jerk policy of allowing provocation to suck us into intervention, there will never be an end to provocation.
    I agree with you.

Council Member

Default Nigeria: Laid low by a culture of cronyism

A more astute observer of Nigeria, describes Nigeria's predicament. Once again, America's role should be to stand back and observe.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b0349a7c-1...#ixzz1eVeMsaHf