Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Nigeria: the context for violence' (2006-2013)

Council Member

Default President's hometown hit

President's hometown hit, just hours after Kano blasts. As Kingjaja says, what we are seeing could well be the beginning of the civil war many had been predicting.
    http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/01/21/...yelsa-capital/

Quote Originally Posted by Chowing View Post
    President's hometown hit, just hours after Kano blasts. As Kingjaja says, what we are seeing could well be the beginning of the civil war many had been predicting.
    http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/01/21/...yelsa-capital/
    Not to be a thorn herein, but seems the VP Sambo is about as popular as Goodluck with BH. Publicizing his every move makes bomb placement fairly easy and only helps them with staging insecurity where the government claims to have returned peace and stability.

Easy target --- too easy
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Seems to be more like the usual pre-election thuggery here (there's an important local election coming up).

Have we determined what exactly they want other than a Muslim State ?
    Have they made any demands that the Yankees should go home ?

I'm still of the opinion that those oil companies have a perceived responsibility for human rights abuses whether by action or omission -- they play a role. Getting rich has some inherent risks that they seem prepared to face.

The Nigerian government continues to not fund its share of the joint ventures operated by the multinationals, and plays the different oil companies against each other. The costs of paying bribes for political favors are certainly making things more expensive for the Nigerians.

Even BH can see that.
    Trust me, they are coming for the Yankees. Let's put rest to all the speculation and finally admit that they are allied with Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda isn't that interested in the local stuff, they want to hurt America. Fortunately, most Americans live in the South, but a good number live in Abuja (and they have demonstrated the ability to strike in Abuja).

The Nigerian Military is going to be pinned down fighting several inter-ethnic clashes triggered by BH activity. That will give them ample room to plan and execute something really big against Western expatriates.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    Seems to be more like the usual pre-election thuggery here (there's an important local election coming up).

Trust me, they are coming for the Yankees. Let's put rest to all the speculation and finally admit that they are allied with Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda isn't that interested in the local stuff, they want to hurt America. Fortunately, most Americans live in the South, but a good number live in Abuja (and they have demonstrated the ability to strike in Abuja).

The Nigerian Military is going to be pinned down fighting several inter-ethnic clashes triggered by BH activity. That will give them ample room to plan and execute something really big against Western expatriates.
    I do believe that there is some linkage between BH and al-Qaeda, to what extent, I am not sure. Stan will jump in and say I do not have facts to back that up and he will be correct.

On the other hand, Nigerians are highly educated compared to many places in Africa. Technologically, they are advanced. They are fully capable of pulling off such bombings without much or any outside training. They hold their own in many professions inside and outside of Nigeria. These home grown terrorists are not any different.

However, I would suspect that al-Qaeda will extend their reach as far as possible, especially in such an important nation as Nigeria.

Concerning expatriates, there were some casualties in the Kano bombings. Some Lebanese and Indians were injured near the SSS headquarters and I understand that that area of Kano is populated by many expats. Now I know that Lebanese and Indians are not westerners. There was also a Nigerian reporter working for BBC who was gunned down and killed while the bombs were being detonated.

Council Member

Default What role do Chinese play

Following modern tracking device recently installed by the Chinese at Force headquarters, Sokoto was traced to the lodge after he made several contacts with his members on new plans to carry out bombings in the FCT when he was arrested in company of the air force official.
    http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/b...okotos-escape/

I am wondering what role the Chinese are playing with the Nigerian police and security forces? Or, is this just speaking of some equipment they purchased from the Chinese.

Seems a more reasonable conclusion.

You may recall it being me surprised they have yet to go after 25,000 westerners. Apparently the strike in Abuja was about something else (for the moment). BH has demonstrated they can operate in Nigeria with little resistance, they have demonstrated they have a sympathetic reach with the military, and, they have demonstrated they have connections within the government. They could have gone after the westerners that live in the south long ago - nothing is holding them back. I have seen nothing aside from blogs that indicates some connection with anyone outside of Nigeria and it seems, they really have little use for outside assistance.

They have had that advantage from day one with the Nigerian military and police.

Stan will jump in and say I do not have facts to back that up and he will be correct.
    Hey, I have no problem with your opinions and I doubt you have a problem with mine. Sorry, I'm stuck on some solid form of proof.

On the other hand, Nigerians are highly educated compared to many places in Africa. Technologically, they are advanced. They are fully capable of pulling off such bombings without much or any outside training. They hold their own in many professions inside and outside of Nigeria. These home grown terrorists are not any different.
    I actually completely agree and even the Zairois with nearly a 6th grade education were making similar explosive devices without outside assistance or even an internet connection.

Concerning expatriates, there were some casualties in the Kano bombings. Some Lebanese and Indians were injured near the SSS headquarters and I understand that that area of Kano is populated by many expats. Now I know that Lebanese and Indians are not westerners. There was also a Nigerian reporter working for BBC who was gunned down and killed while the bombs were being detonated.
    It's too bad that those who perished are not considered part of the westerners and so easily dismissed without even a sentence in an article.

Council Member

You may recall it being me surprised they have yet to go after 25,000 westerners. Apparently the strike in Abuja was about something else (for the moment). BH has demonstrated they can operate in Nigeria with little resistance, they have demonstrated they have a sympathetic reach with the military, and, they have demonstrated they have connections within the government. They could have gone after the westerners that live in the south long ago - nothing is holding them back. I have seen nothing aside from blogs that indicates some connection with anyone outside of Nigeria and it seems, they really have little use for outside assistance.
    When they attacked the UN Building at Abuja (which I think you alluded to) a few months ago, they weren't looking for Nigerians, they were looking for Westerners. Right now, their immediate aims are to drive a permanent wedge between Muslims and Christians in Nigeria - this appears to be an easy and straight forward goal.

If you also understand that (a) they want to rid the North of all Christians and (b) Westerners are considered Christians, you'll understand quite quickly the next group they are likely to strike.

This is a translation of the leaflet they passed around in Kano during/after the bombing. (NB: They are confident enough to pass leaflets).

In the name of God, the most beneficent and merciful.
    We are the ones that they address with the prohibited name Boko Haram, when our name is Jama’atu Ahlus Sunnah Lidda Awati Wal Jihad (Congregation of Followers of the Prophet involved in the Call to Islam and Religious Struggle)
    This message is to the people of Kano. You should know that the security (Police) in Kano are using tricks in arresting our people, that is they tell people in different neighborhoods that they are arresting thieves or armed robbers – you should know that it is our people that they are arresting.
    We do not have any intention of touching any people of this town if they do not touch us. Because our war is with the Government that is fighting Islam with the Christian association of Nigeria (CAN) that are killing Muslims even eating their flesh and those who helped them to fight us even if they are Muslims.
    Anyone who is instrumental to the arrest of our members is assured that their own is coming.
    Message from the leader of Jama’atu Ahlus Sunnah Lidda Awati Wal Jihad
    Imam Abubakar Muhammad Abubakar bin Mohammed (Shikau)
    http://www.informationnigeria.org/20...ranslated.html

Council Member

I am wondering what role the Chinese are playing with the Nigerian police and security forces? Or, is this just speaking of some equipment they purchased from the Chinese.
    ZTE is installing a $500 million CCTV system in Abuja and the Nigerian Airforce flies Chinese-made planes. There's a lot more the Chinese are doing behind the scenes like supplying equipment, surveillance satellite assistance etc.

Council Member

There are probably more Indians and Lebanese in Nigeria than Westerners. They are also more likely to live among the locals (and in the case of the Lebanese in Northern Nigeria), speak the local language.

There aren't too many Westerners living in Northern Nigeria but a sizable number live at Abuja. Abuja is very target rich in that regard.

I suspect that BH are doing some recce on the Abuja Sheraton, Hilton and residential areas. I doubt they will attempt the US embassy (too well guarded), but there is a lot they can do within Abuja, especially during some of the frequent traffic jams.

When they attacked the UN Building at Abuja (which I think you alluded to) a few months ago, they weren't looking for Nigerians, they were looking for Westerners. Right now, their immediate aims are to drive a permanent wedge between Muslims and Christians in Nigeria - this appears to be an easy and straight forward goal.
    I'm not sure what their goal was but it certainly meant they could have done far worse damage elsewhere had they wanted to.

If you also understand that (a) they want to rid the North of all Christians and (b) Westerners are considered Christians, you'll understand quite quickly the next group they are likely to strike.
    As I said, I'm really surprised they have yet to go after higher profile targets. They have proven they can.

This is a translation of the leaflet they passed around in Kano during/after the bombing. (NB: They are confident enough to pass leaflets).
    Where is it that the leaflets were passed around? More likely left and eventually made the rounds among the population.

We do not have any intention of touching any people of this town if they do not touch us. Because our war is with the Government that is fighting Islam with the Christian association of Nigeria (CAN) that are killing Muslims even eating their flesh and those who helped them to fight us even if they are Muslims.
    Some of the Africa forums claim that the text is in a Niger dialect and that the above para is mere gibberish.

Is there a hidden message in there ?

Council Member

Some of the Africa forums claim that the text is in a Niger dialect and that the above para is mere gibberish.

Is there a hidden message in there ?
    Niger is very close to Kano.

What exactly is the difference between a Hausa Muslim from Niger and a Hausa Muslim from Nigeria? European colonial rule created several artificial borders that have little relevance in the daily lives of millions of Africans.

When the Nigerian president ordered Nigeria's borders to be closed, what exactly did that mean in practice? Not much. Some villages in Northern Nigeria share a common boundary with villages in Niger and people and goods move on trade routes that have been in existence for more than a thousand years.

Council Member

Default The Hausa People

The Hausas are the predominant ethnic group in Islamic Northern Nigeria

The Hausa are one of the largest ethnic groups in West Africa. They are a Sahelian people chiefly located in northern Nigeria and southeastern Niger, but having significant numbers living in regions of Cameroon, Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Chad and Sudan. Predominantly Hausa communities are scattered throughout West Africa and on the traditional Hajj route across the Sahara Desert, especially around the town of Agadez.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_people

They know their way around the Sahara Desert. I.e. they can smuggle stuff from Libya, Algeria, Egypt etc without being detected.

Council Member

Default Another boko haram attack today!!

It seems as if Nigeria is on the brink of another Civil War.

What is shocking is that the rest of the World has very little appreciation for the magnitude of the problem in Nigeria - nothing is the news media suggests that. Nobody is talking about - instead we have the daily grind of irrelevant nit-picking surrounding the Republican Presidential primaries.

The most important nation in West Africa stands a real risk of implosion and nobody seems to care. Anyway, if the World could stand by unconcerned when Congo disintegrated into violence , I don't think they would pay too much attention to Nigeria either.

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, details of the latest Boko Haram attack.

Fresh attacks kill nine in northern Nigeria as police hunt Boko Haram bombers
    Muslim gunmen killed nine people and wounded 12 others in the latest round of religious violence to hit northern Nigeria, a community elder said.

The attack, in the early hours of Sunday morning, came less than a day after Boko Haram, Nigeria’s Islamist separatist insurgents, said it carried out coordinated bombings that left as many as 160 people dead on Friday night.
    Bukata Zhyadi, traditional elder of a Christian ethnic group, said nine bodies had been found at dawn on Sunday in the town of Tafawa Balewa in Bauchi state.
    “We are going around the town checking [for more],” he said. Twelve people were wounded, he said, adding that witnesses blamed the attack on a Muslim ethnic group.
    Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s president, promised immediate action to find the men who ordered multiple blasts on Friday night in Kano, northern Nigeria’s main city.
    Morgues were full and bodies were being stored in corridors on Sunday morning as emergency services continued to find fresh victims of the blasts.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...m-bombers.html

By the close of business today, CNN and BBC would have removed Boko Haram from their headlines and we will be treated to another week of headlines surrounding the Costa Concordia crash, then another week surrounding the trial of the captain of the cruise ship, then another week of silly gossip about Newt Gingrich or something else that is of little relevance to those of us who live in West Africa.

United States to Engage With Nigeria on Regional Security

A U.S. delegation co-chaired by Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs William Fitzgerald and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Defense Joseph McMillan will meet with Nigerian government officials January 23-24 to discuss regional security cooperation.

... The working group is expected to discuss areas of cooperation for addressing the professionalization of security responses to extremism, political responses to security threats, and the role of development in improving security.

Council Member

Great, but the US has a history of partnering with Nigeria on regional security (usually involves US money and Nigerian lives). The deeper question what can the US do, given that the Nigerian security services are deeply compromised.

Let me give you an example, a few days ago, a prime suspect in the Christmas day bombing was arrested at the Borno State Governor's lodge in Abuja. He was allowed to escape by a senior police officer from Nigeria's North East.

So it is becoming clear that Boko Haram has infiltrated the Nigerian security services.

Second point, the Nigerian Police doesn't even have an accurate record of staff on its payroll. So you don't even know where to begin from.

Boko Haram has exposed the weaknesses in intelligence gathering. I know that the US has strengths in SIGINT, but you what if they decide to use carriers or messengers on the overnight buses between Kano and Abuja?

Council Member

Default Boko Haram: It’s time to discuss our unity - N/Delta

Hidden subtext: Boko Haram weakens the North, other regions see an opportunity to restructure Nigeria to their advantage.

The mistake many Western analysts make is that all Nigerians would react to Boko Haram the same way Americans reacted to 9/11. No, many influential power brokers see an opportunity to eliminate a common enemy - the powerful elite of Muslim North. They will milk this crisis for all its worth, getting the US to support a Southern president on counter-terrorism, weakening the influence of Northern legislators, putting the North on the defensive.

POLITICAL and opinion leaders of the oil-rich Niger Delta region were, at the weekend, unanimous in their call for the proper re-structuring of Nigeria along lines peculiar to the various beliefs, thoughts and aspirations of the nationalities of the country.

Besides, they contended that the uprising of the Islamist sect, Boko Haram, has more to do with politics than religion.

Renowned professor of constitutional law, Itsey Sagay, pioneer National Secretary of the Ijaw National Congress (INC), Chief Francis Williams, National Coordinator of the Niger-Delta Economic Monitoring Group (NDEMG), Comrade Joseph Evah, as well as chairman of the Ijaw Media Forum, Chief Asu Beks, both blamed the nation’s structural imbalance for the Boko Haram menace, saying, time has come to discuss the very essence of Nigeria’s unity.

While the duo of Evah and Beks accused a former National Security Adviser (NSA) as the unseen hand behind the spate of bombings in the country, former Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Festus Porbeni, called for caution, as the nation grapples with the insurgency of the dreaded Islamist sect.

Sagay said: “The insurgency of the Boko Haram menace has, again brought to the fore the inevitability of a national discourse that will discuss the myriad problems facing this nation; we cannot run away from this. Whether we like it or not, the group has made it clear that it wants the introduction of governments along Islamic injunctions across the nation. Fine, that is one of the cardinals of true federalism that some of us have fought for all the years but not the way they go about it, taking innocent lives. I think that is why some may rightly argue that their activities are more political than religion.

“But then, President Jonathan has a duty to help himself. He knows that the issue of Boko Haram is very much there with every possibility of political undertone; but is it not the same constituency, I mean the civil society, that made him president against all odds that he is fighting? He should help himself by being less controversial outside Boko Haram.”
    http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/...olders-meeting

There are many in the South working feverishly to ensure that the major fallout from this crisis is a fatal weakening of the Northern elite. They still have up to 2015 to complete their work and they seem to be on track.

Council Member

Default Controversy over US move to label Boko Haram Terrorist Organisation

This is the problem. You cannot get involved in counter-terrorism without inserting yourself in the internal politics of the host region/country.

Presently, Western analysts like Jean Herskovits and John Campbell (CFR) are being labelled as apologists for Boko Haram by Christians/Southern Nigerians for suggesting that the US should not label Boko Haram a terrorist organisation. On the other hand, most Nigerian Muslims from the North are opposed to that move.

AS Boko Haram continues to launch terrorist attacks in the country, a deliberate lobby is going on in the US to frustrate American government’s attempt to label the sect a terrorist group.

Consequently, the Federal Government may be hiring an American lobbying firm to scuttle the lobby and represent Nigeria’s interest in the matter.

Informed sources, during the week, told The Guardian that soon after November last year’s hearing by the US House of Representatives on the global threat of Boko Haram, the US State Department came under pressure from lawmakers to impose the label of a terrorist group on the militant Islamic group.

But at about the same time, some influential groups of intellectuals, and policy think tanks in the US are canvassing publicly and within the US government circles to oppose the plans to designate Boko Haram as a terrorist organization.

If the US government goes ahead to designate Boko Haram a terrorist group, the move will activate the use of US government resources to confront the group, identify its financing, and cut it off as much as possible, while also legally enabling the government to adopt other measures to stigmatise and isolate the terrorist group.

While the Nigerian government’s views are not being sought openly by the US on the matter, a Nigerian Minister was so concerned during a recent visit to the US capital about what the minister described as a “concerted effort” against Nigeria by the intellectuals and some policy think-tanks trying to downplay the Boko Haram threat in the US and lobby against the designation of the sect as terrorist.

In order to counter the lobby, the Federal Government is now considering hiring a US lobbying firm to scuttle the lobby, since the pro-Boko Haram arrowheads are cautioning the US government not to make the Islamic group an enemy of the Americans, in direct opposition to the recommendations of the US House of Representatives, which authored an authoritative report on the real threat posed by Boko Haram, even to the US.

Commenting on the matter, Nigeria’s Ambassador to the US, Prof Ade Adefuye, confirmed that indeed “the U S House of representatives intends to take hearings from Nigerians in the US on the desirability, or otherwise, of declaring Boko Haram a terrorist organisation and a danger to US interest.”
    http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-852086.0.html

Given the increase in the intensity and sophistication of terrorist attacks by Boko Haram, it is not a question of if, but when the US labels Boko Haram a foreign terrorist organisation. When that happens, expect the US to lose some support from the predominantly Muslim parts of Northern Nigeria. There is also a possibility that some prominent Northern politicians could have ties to Boko Haram.

Council Member

Default Israel to help nigeria tackle terrorism

Is this a wise thing to say in public?

Christians will be overjoyed, but this sort of thing doesn't play very well in the Muslim street.

Israel has offered to assist Nigeria in tackling the menace of terrorism in the country.

The Deputy Head of Mission of the Israeli Embassy, Mr George Deek made the announcement at a gathering in Abuja.

Drawing examples of terrorism in Israel, Mr Deek said the embassy is willing to provide assistance to Nigeria in training and equipping Nigeria’s security agencies on counter terrorism to halt the menace eating up the Federal Government of Nigeria and the citizens.

"We are willing to help Nigeria fish out and expose the aliens who are perpetrators of the heinous and inhuman acts of terrorism and the technical knowledge of how to prevent suicide bombing is intelligence because without intelligence you cannot prevent and pre-empt a suicide bomber.
    We want to assist Nigerians on how to encounter these aliens because Nigeria is our neighbour which must not be left alone at this trying period."Mr. Geroge Deek said.

He called on the Federal Government to put in place strong policy to combat terrorism, adding, “The government and the people should exercise a very strong policy to prevent and pre-empt such occurrences with an iron face by not allowing terrorist determine its way of life.”
    http://channelstv.com/global/news_de...1120&cat=Local