Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Default Need Help

I need testers to look at the Virtual Culture Awareness Trainer (VCAT) and tear it apart. We will be kicking off the acceptance testing on Wednesday. A little info on VCAT:

http://www.jfcom.mil/newslink/storya.../pa061109.html

We have run beta testing on it, so far it's good to go. We are pushing web based training with this project. This is the first Interactive Media Instruction that is firmly level III, not a level I page turner.

It doesn't matter what you sign in as: junior, senior or what country. The instruction lasts 4 hours and it is linked into JFCOM's learning management system.

PM me if you want to get involved.

S/F

Paul

hi,
    i can't seem to get PM to work.
    would like to validate VCAT: could you try to PM me or send message via email? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by delphis View Post
    hi,
    i can't seem to get PM to work.
    would like to validate VCAT: could you try to PM me or send message via email? thanks!
    Your PM i working from my end...I have fat fingers

I sent an email to you.

Here's the official email that went out. We planned on kicking it of on Monday but we have pushed it to Wednesday instead.

It is time to take VCAT to the acceptance test. Most of you receiving this email participated in the previous VCAT (beta test) so I want to invite you to participate in the acceptance test. If you know of some service/COCOM advanced technologies/gaming people who would like to participate, please let me know. The Virtual Cultural Awareness Trainer Acceptance Test is scheduled for 3-14 Aug 09. The Acceptance Test Kick off meeting will be held via teleconference on Monday, 3 Aug 09 at 1200 EST. I have reserved conference room 2139 for any internal JFCOM personnel. The telcon will take place using 1-866-772-3788, passcode 7717515.

For those new participants, VCAT is a web-based game accessible via the Joint Knowledge Online (JKO). The VCAT requirement is to provide a web-based gaming stimulation for joint warriors immersed in multiple AORs, for multiple mission sets, and multiple scenarios. JKDDC's strategy is for VCAT to achieve a first person "game" that incorporates story telling scenario introductions, real time remediation, intelligent tutoring, advanced sequencing, learning content navigation and use of avatars for the purpose of stimulating critical thinking and learning.

The great thing about this acceptance test is that you will be able to conduct the test at the location of your choosing, at the time of your choosing, and at your own pace within the two week period (3-14 Aug 09). I have attached the login instructions. As stated in the instructions, you will need a JKO or AKO account to access the course and the process takes up to 2 days so if you don't already have an account please follow instructions to request an account.

The test should take roughly 4 hours to complete. We found during the beta test that some of you did not have 4 hours to spend. If time is limited for you, I encourage you to login and spend even one hour or complete just one module. Your input is very important to us so even a partial look by you is significant. We will provide more details at the kickoff telecon on 3 August.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. You may also send any questions you may have regarding VCAT or the acceptance test to Matt or me. We look forward to your participation.

Update on testing;

The testing is open to all that are in SWJ, including non US.

The intent is to stress test the project, they will be briefing a two star today and we are looking at kicking the testing off on Thursday instead of Wednesday.

If you're interested in doing this, please contact me and let me know if you have an AKO or JKO account.

You will be added to the list, how to log on and get a temp account on JKO will also be provided.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 08-03-2009 at 02:07 PM.

We have 12 volunteers so far, you should have gotten a reply back from me. If you haven't received a confirmation let me know.

We are having a phone con tomorrow if you want to participate. Log on instructions and location of the VCAT in JKO will be sent out tomorrow.

We may have some problems getting non US testers on JKO, if that happens, our bump plan is to leverage the contractor's server. The full version of VCAT will be there minus the survey and it will not be hooked into JKO's learning management system.

Additional S/A

This VCAT is a pilot, the first in a series. It covers Horn of Africa (HOA), the follow on VCATs will be done in the same format.

If you are not interested in HOA, please don't let this stop you from participating. JFCOM plans on going "Walmart" with mulitple VCATs coming out in a cyclic rate.

It's important that we get this first one right.

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    If you are not interested in HOA, please don't let this stop you from participating. JFCOM plans on going "Walmart" with mulitple VCATs coming out in a cyclic rate.
    Actually, one of the reasons I'm interested, although not the only one, is the civilian teaching potential of the system. After all, many of my students are in the same age range with similar backgrounds, so if it works well, it could be an invaluable tool for education.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Marc,

Me thinks you'll be really impressed with the knowledge transfer on this. We have hit IMI level III and it is completely scorm. This is not my mama's typical page turner that most people see when doing an online course.

All;

I was off line for a little today. I'm up at Camp Perry visiting my daughter while she's shooting the matches. I have to help run the team match tomorrow.

For those that have not gotten your email, name and location to me, PM it and I'll get you on the list on Thursday.

For those of you that received the email with the dial in number for tomorrow; I'll talk to you then. If you can't make the call don't worry, I'll double check the volunteer list and make sure that you can access the course.

Edit, on my initial post I stated that "I" need, it isn't for me, this is a group effort for the Warfighter. Sorry for the confusion.

S/F

Paul
    Last edited by nichols; 08-05-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Paul,
    I believe all is in order on my end and will log on to AKO (?). I doubt I'll make the call in though. We're 7 hours ahead of EST and, as much as I would enjoy talking to you, I am not entitled to free phone calls

Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I believe all is in order on my end and will log on to AKO (?). I doubt I'll make the call in though. We're 7 hours ahead of EST and, as much as I would enjoy talking to you, I am not entitled to free phone calls
    Hey Stan, you should get Skype - that's what I'll be using.

Cheers,

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Hey Marc,
    There's little left to respond with at this point. Lemme think a smiggin...
    Skype, although purportedly originating from this country, is a piece of Sierra and I actually don't know any Estonians that use it (here).

I was trying to be diplomatic (what in God's name is that?) in my post to Paul and you have once again forced me to come out of the closet

I certainly hope this test is not based on cultural experiences (or, the general lack thereof)... I'm doomed be it French, Lingala, Swiss German, and Estonian (we'll keep my English aptitude out of this for now) ?

Let the games begin

Regards, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Hey Stan, you should get Skype - that's what I'll be using.

Cheers,

Marc

Received instructions from Matthias to include 3 attachments. However, No joy using my AKO at https://nemesis.jfcom.mil

If I try for the third attempt I will be locked out and ....Foxtroted

Had a snafu with the upload yesterday. We will be ready for everyone to log on and run it through its paces tomorrow.

If you haven't received the login instruction yet, please send me an email.

S/F

Paul

Default Per our emails...

Paul,
    Navigation errors then Navigation blocked by the server.

Mozilla or funky Explorer eight dot zero same Sierra.

I did not receive new login instructions other than what Matt sent yesterday.

Regards, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    Had a snafu with the upload yesterday. We will be ready for everyone to log on and run it through its paces tomorrow.

If you haven't received the login instruction yet, please send me an email.

S/F

Paul

Default VCAT Initial Impressions

Paul and Marc (and any other Council Member participating),

Not sure where this should go, but felt we need to put it somewhere soon, in order to chronologically log events as they occur.

I finally slipped in this morning when all the IT pukes were still sleeping. Logged on this evening and enrolled in course 734706.

First Impressions
    The countries I'm most familiar with are strangely absent from the list (but then the course is after all the HOA).

The prologue left me clicking "next" trying to escape and eventually I ended up with "What is Culture", but the system locked up during "Bias" and nearly had to restart to get it going.

Finally made it to my first card game when the system finally locked up for good after two or three successful matches. Not too sure I get the usefulness of the card game, but that will probably come later ???

Marc, Your initial impressions thus far?

Regards, Stan

Marc, Your initial impressions thus far?
    Non-existent, Stan. I don't have either an ako or jko account. They were, supposedly, going to set up an alternate server for the few of us in that situation, but I haven't had any response to my emails about it yet. Maybe they don't want an Anthropologist assessing it !

What's bugging me somewhat is that, outside of not responding to my emails and generally treating me like a mushroom, they keep pushing the timing back. At this rate, if I ever get on, it will be as I'm traveling down to the TRADOC Senior Leaders Conference!

Oh well, I have other things on my plate to keep me going - a concert tonight (Bach and Purcel) and a funeral tomorrow (as well as all the other stuff).

Cheers,

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Default I got logged on

and made it through some of prologue, all of what is culture and so far I can see where their headed. Seems ok but the flow is somewhat quirky (it might be smoother now that the download was updated. ) Reminds me of something I had a chance to play with couple years ago and if thats where their headed it should be pretty good. They do need to be a little more clear on directions for things like the card game. (at least for those like me who are a little slow to figure it out) Took me ten minutes to figure out how to actually match them.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    They do need to be a little more clear on directions for things like the card game. (at least for those like me who are a little slow to figure it out) Took me ten minutes to figure out how to actually match them.
    Hey Ron,

I almost thought I knew where we were heading but having second thoughts. It's hard to conclude anything at this point, but, if I had never worked in Africa I may have spent more time listening. The female character needs some tuning up

Admittedly I was wondering the same thing with the card game. But then, even when I did figure out the matching system (the football teams) the system still would not register a match right off. Spent 2.30 minutes and 4 matches

Marc,
    Did you Skype into the initial phone conference ?

Regards, Stan

Marc,
    Did you Skype into the initial phone conference ?

Regards, Stan
    Yup - worked fine for me.

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Yup - worked fine for me.

Marc
    Not sure what the purpose was. Must of been a ton of folks all at the same time ?

Shifting Gears...
    Finally got through "What's Culture" by starting with the card game (again). Passed the 4 question test with 100% and quit for the evening.

The smart ass Attaché in civilian attire reminds me of more than a dozen State FSOs during my time abroad. Not sure that's a good way to start life at an embassy, but it is accurate.