Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
So where would PoDunk State be located? Considering the Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, state of Michigan, university "U" of lake Michigan represent the FIVE largest engineering and sciences state sponsored concentration of schools on the PLANET.

Of course cultural sensitivity is important and care and stewardship of the environment are also important.

I unfortunately want that dirty, nasty, cursing, blood thirsty army that smiles after the kill. While helping little old ladies across the street, working in the most technically advanced army on the planet, and discussing the philosophy of Kant and Jung while doing civil affairs.

That's what we do here in fly over country that forgotten by coastal elitist metropolitan wasteland of hard working, hard playing, folk.

You know, right there next to PoDunk University. Heck I work at one of those PoDunk U's. What do we have to say for it? Oh, the most astro-nuts launched out of the atmosphere, Ameila Earhardt, Sully don't wanna swim to New York, a variety of captains of industry, many soldiers and sailors (captains of the Wabash), and lots of corn. Of course my campus is so far out in the sticks the nearest burg is that tiny little town called Chicago. You know that place where first run theater often beats Broadway?

No culture, but lots of corn here on the shores of Lake Michigan.

But hey, in other news this fall we are opening an ROTC on our campus.
I did some of my schooling in the midwest actually. I'm not quite sure where Podunk State is located; I just know that it exists. It's the place that apparently has a huge ROTC program which keeps producing young officers who can't spell or write, who refer to "haji" and "man-dresses", wear sunglasses when talking to the local populace and who wonder why Jews don't celebrate Christmas.

"I unfortunately want that dirty, nasty, cursing, blood thirsty army that smiles after the kill."

I don't. I want the Army that actually wins wars. That Army would have been great for fighting the Soviet hordes when they came across the Fulda Gap but that Army almost lost us two wars this decade and did lose a war in Southeast Asia. Don't get me wrong, we need the good old boys who grew up coon hunting and we certainly need to preserve plenty of HIC capacity. But right now, the kinetic stuff is secondary (and indeed depends upon the stuff that the kid who grew up in Jackson Heights knowing four languages might just happen to be better at).