The Army, proving once again, that it doesn't understand how to recruit, retain and develop junior Officers.

I'm not really sure what specific demographic they had in mind as this method seems to be aimed at people who don't have USMA, OCS, or ROTC available as an option to them (as each have their own robust recruiting for their target demographic). I’ve heard the theory that this aimed at getting individuals who already have a degree and are not satisfied with civilian employment (unemployment?) to enlist under 9D or get a direct commission if applicable.

I’ve always been skeptical of the argument that the Officer Corps is in direct competition with Corporate America for college graduates – they’re in direct competition with college admissions and enlisted recruitment as the choice to use ROTC or USMA is made back in high school. The notion that there is the untapped pool of people who passed up multiple chances to serve their country, but since earning a degree are just waiting for someone to ask if they want to be an Officer, is flat out silly.

Its going to be interesting to see if this program works. It will be even more interesting to see how the Army spins the results.