On a variety of threads we have touched upon the impact of coalition operations in Afghanistan and sometimes in the Intelligence arena on recruiting informants etc. I cannot recall many comments on local Afghan civilians providing information.

I occassionally visit Michael Yon's website, so the hat tip today is to Kings of War and in his latest report he reports on a patrol in Helmand, with the British Ghurkhas: http://www.michaelyon-online.com/com...n-thoughts.htm

Within is this section:

The intelligence section here at FOB Jackson says that since this 2 Rifles tour began in April 2009, tips from locals have been steady with no remarkable increase or decrease in information flow. Information flow from civilians is a crucial indicator and was my first big tip-off during the dangerous summer of the 2007 that the Surge in Iraq was working....

Here in Sangin, there are conflicting lines of information that would indicate we are gaining or losing ground. Cooperation from locals—a crucial indicator—would indicate we are treading water.

Some attacks are thwarted by tip-offs, which often, or typically, result from immediate self-interests, such as the case where bombs are planted among a farmer’s crops....There were many factors that led to the avalanche-like turnaround in Iraq, and one of the key factors was troop strength and constant presence in the neighborhoods. Many Iraqis and Afghans were/are betting on what they perceive to be the winning side—no matter if they like that side or not.

Local cooperation seems based on immediate self-interests, not long-term ideological visions, though, clearly, long-term ideological visions are hallmark for the fundamentalists. We will know that we are winning—definitely winning—when we see a remarkable increase in population-generated information and cooperation.
I suspect on a second reading SWC may have discussed this in the Iraqi context and the 'Surge'.