Thread: Leeroy Jenkins and the American way of advising

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jkm_101_fso View Post
    Interesting analogy; a lot of truth to it.

Full Article
    I think I just found a new teaching tool. Thanks to the author and to jkm_101... brilliant!
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Default Hat tip

The US Army adviser writing this: http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2009/06/4036672 is to be commended. I do wonder has anyone applied the principles to advising in Afghanistan - which is different from Iraq. Secondly have any coalition members who've done advising written so well?

Alas I fear much of the non-US military writing is behind an official secrecy "wall". There are 'lessons of advising' in the official journal British Army Review, which I shall now have to re-read.

davidbfpo

We use this video before every planning session at Squadron...still a classic!
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides