View Poll Results: Which foreign language will be most valuable in the next 20 years?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arabic

8 27.59%
  • Dari

0 0%
  • Farsi

3 10.34%
  • Hindi

0 0%
  • Pashtu

2 6.90%
  • Urdu

2 6.90%
  • Other

17 58.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which foreign language will be most valuable in the next 20 years?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Which foreign language will be most valuable in the next 20 years?

To a young college student who has an interest in contemporary issues in the Middle East and Afghanistan-Pakistan region – but no particular preference regarding any country – which foreign language/country studies would you recommend that he/she study if the intent is to play a role in the major national security challenges of the next generation? (At least the largest challenges among the locales applicable to the languages given).

This is kind of a crystal ball question, since the answer depends on how you expect us to leverage our national power in those regions. I was recently asked this by a college junior (in the fall) who is considering pursuing OCS, State, or CIA. (My first question was to ask him, “you realize those are three different universes, right?”). I gave him my rationale – which is paraphrased below. I also made it abundantly clear to him that I have no idea what I am talking about and that he would be wise to ask his professors.

For my pick, I am thinking Urdu. Pakistan has nukes. Even if we miraculously manage to extract ourselves from Afghanistan, we’ll still be knee deep in Pakistani security issues.

Runner-up – I’m thinking Arabic. We’ll be living, working, and operating in the Arabic-speaking countries for a long time. Kuwait may as well be a PCS (maybe it already is?).

I suspect that Dari and Pashtu will become exponentially less critical as we search for ways to escape from Afghanistan. There seem to be a lot of Indians who speak English, so I’m also thinking not Hindi. Iran may become as problematic as Pakistan, due to its pursuit of nukes and possible internal instability, but I don’t think we’ll have as much dialogue with them as with the Pakistanis – so not Farsi.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Schmedlap; 08-16-2009 at 06:27 AM.