Hi there...

I'm not sure if this is something I can ask on the SWJ forum, or if I've put it in the right area of the forum, but I seem to be running into brick walls everywhere so I thought it would be worth a shot. If this post is either inappropriate, or in the wrong forum, please feel free to delete/move it.

I知 currently a UK citizen and have just graduated with a BA in Political Science. I know that I want to eventually live and work in the USA in a policy career but, having sought advice from every avenue available, I知 still unsure what the best route into that career is.

My original intention was to pursue a PhD in the USA, with a view to enhancing my research skills and gaining detailed knowledge of one area of policy (security studies, specifically counterterrorism and counterinsurgency) but I have been told by a few people in both UK and US academia that a PhD will only help me for a career in academia, and make me unattractive to potential policy employers.

I had hoped that I could use a PhD to work in policy and then go into teaching in later life, but that now looks like it isn稚 a commonly taken path. I have been advised that an MA in International Relations or a JD would provide a better route into American policy positions.

I知 at a bit of a loss now as I知 really not sure what the best route to take would be. I have a real passion for politics and research, and I feel that doing advanced study of security issues would prepare me well for a career related to that field, but I worry that studying a JD would prepare me to be a lawyer rather than a policy practitioner and as an international student funding is also a big issue, and few MA courses offer a full-ride to international students. I've also been told that mentioning that I want a career in policy could be the kiss of death for any PhD applications.

My grades at undergraduate were good (I graduated with a First Class honours degree) and I have volunteered in the Middle East and worked as a Conflict Resolution intern at the Carter Center. I知 prepared to work as hard as it takes to get where I want, but I feel unsure as to where I should direct my energies.

Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks a lot.