Thread: A career in security policy - advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hard choices aren't easy

I'd consider - if only for US$ reasons, let alone INS - a short career in the UK. Something like VSO, British Council and other NGO's. There are IMHO very few Arabic speakers, so you maybe a premium applicant? I am mindful that Emma Sky was at the British Council before called to Iraq. Can you really afford three years at a law school? How about an internship inside the Beltway, as a taster?

davidbfpo

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default Ideas, you have youth and a lifetime ahead on your side

David's advice makes the most pragmatic sense, having read over everyone's inputs back to your original questions.

There are examples of one to any combination of programs anyone can bring up.

You need to focus on what you want to do and get started.

"Anything" is possible if you row your own boat positively, are intellectually honest, and work hard. No starting point is "too low"...those who are too good to do lesser level work are intellectual bums and never amount to much in my experience.

Again, I like David's advice. Listen to Dave, and maybe go see and talk with him. He has done well with Scotland Yard (now International side of same) is my perception.

Council Member

Default RVM, all good advice but

US Law School used to be THE place to prepare for almost any kind of career. Now, the best prep for an international policy career is an MA in IR, Intl Studies, and/or Area Studies. In general, the best places to do such a degree is in DC or NYC but there are important exceptions based on access to internships and policymakers, and for area studies, the region. Other considerations are cost - for example, the DC schools use their MA programs as money makers and so, they are expensive and, generally, don't offer fellowships. A key issue here is to look for a "Professional Masters" program in contrast to a traditional "academic" masters. Thesis option should be available but it is not critical - there is always a substantial research requirement in good programs but it may not be a thesis.
    Now, for the PhD. If you only wanted to teach, then moving to a direct PhD would be the way to go from the strongest academic program you could get into. There is also fellowship money there. But that doesn't appear to be your ambition.
    For an academic career (in the US) the PhD is best taken in a discipline like Pol Sci or History, etc. For a policy wonk, however, any acredited, decent PhD will do. Interdisciplinary is not only fine but may well be more useful. However, getting the PhD is not something that is particularly useful for getting started in the policy field; it will be far more useful later on.
    A last thought: policy wonks are in high demand as adjunct professors at many US schools (as long as they bring a PhD and/or real policy experience) which is a great way to keep a hand in the teaching business while doing a policy day job.

Good luck

JohnT

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default More thoughts, too

If you guys want to keep piling on advice to this young man in UK, I have a friend who concurrently did both his JD at Duke Law while doing in PhD in History/International Relations at Duke Graduate School. He got both degrees.

However, my friend's over his lifetime (he is nearing retirement now at age 58 or 59) career path has not made as good use of his sterling education as could have been the case.

Charting a direction that will logically be reinforced by one's advanced education is critically important.