Thread: Leading scouting/counter-scouting theorists

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    In the '80s, I understood close to be inside the arty fan (105s and 4.2s for me). Long range patrolling was outside the arty fan.

That was an informal light/airborne outlook.

Battalion scout platoons operated "close." Division LRRP units operated "long." There was no brigade level recon that I can recall.
    When did Brigade Reconnaissance Troops come to being?
    Example is better than precept.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    When did Brigade Reconnaissance Troops come to being?
    At least in the 2nd BDE 1st Armored Div, 1998-9. (I was the 1-35 AR S2 at the tail end of standing up the BRT.)

I like Rifleman's definition of 'close'; within organic fire and DS support (check or hold?).

As to Ken's question about how many U.S. COs would use scouts outside of logisitical support range for any length of time;
    Probably 'not many'. But having the capability for those special occasions, and maintaining the standards would be worth the training and logistical investments. Consider one of the key arguments against 7.62mm NATO caliber rifles - "Soldiers rarely engage targets past 400m"... So we'll remove the capability so they cannot engage targets past 400m, and not bother to train them to? Now, this is Cold War surplus doctrine, when badguys wore distinctive clothes and hats, but the principle is whether you choose to 'dumb down' your soldiers or provide them the training and tools to exceed your expectations.

I firmly believe in the most flexible and highest quality tools, and training to get the best advantage out of those tools.

Sadly, there are too many ORSA bean-counters and political hack accountants that advocate lowering the standards to save money and make the troops fit their models better.