Thread: Army Doctrine Reengineering and the Loss of Any Historical Perspective

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Under aurora borealis on north base of Alaska Range at headwaters of Toklat and Little Delta Rivers.

Default Peer Review Audit Trail for Historical Basis of Doctrinal Manuals

Klugzilla noted earlier
    As I mentioned before, I too hate to see this happening; however, the actual appearance of quotes, vignettes, etc. does not necessarily mean that history does not underpin doctrine. That train has left the station". Also, we have yet to settle on a format for the ATTP, which is where vignettes may have the most impact. I think this ties into the Bob's World post."

Its not to late. The train hasn't gathered much speed yet. I think that historical underpinnings ought to be part and parcel of each published Service doctrinal manual, and that these underpinnings, whether in-text references or separate quotes and vignettes, should be extensively footnoted and/or source-note referenced. Peer review/audit ought to be an integral part of the coordination process (required not just requested) for draft manuals prior to their publication and public release.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 03-31-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Insert quote marks

Under aurora borealis on north base of Alaska Range at headwaters of Toklat and Little Delta Rivers.

Default A good and recent example of the use of vignettes in Army writing

I suggest COMISAF's guidance for COIN is a good example of tight writing and appropriate use of vignettes to drive home a point. Alarmingly the current trend in draft revisions of Army doctrinal manuals is not to include such vignettes (see the posts on Army Doctrine Reengineering on the TRADOC Senior Leaders Conference thread). As you well know by now I think this is a mistake. In writing doctrine we should follow GEN McC's lead rather than sacrificing the inclusion of any historical perspective in doctrinal manuals on the altar of brevity (as we are apparently about to do).

Council Member

Default Symptom of a larger disease

The problem isn't the manuals or what is contained in them.
    The problem is an officer corps that sees no reason to read professionally beyond what the immediate problem is.

We have lots of careerists, but professionals are hard to come by.