Thread: Are snipers and recon still valid in infantry battalions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

My two cents about conscription and markmanship :

I made my 'National Service' during the end 80's; Main thread was called RED; We were supposed to slow then enough by conventional means to allow NATO strength (US & CAN) avoiding nuke use.
    The conscription was, for me, the better way to mix people : farmers and urbans, low and high educated. Social mixing, each with his background to reach a same goal. I'm not naive, even if one tenth of a class was really motivated, these 1/10 could be more than useful as reserve if a major threat happens. Politicians forget that particular conscription's goal, and for electoral and economical (not my point of view) reasons switch to professional army.
    We were not, after 12 month, really skilled as today professionals can be, but physical & intellectual requirements wasn't so high as today : 90% were good enough for the job.
    Today, with unemployment rates between 8 and 10% (especially for youngs), teaching discipline and community's life will not be a waste of money and time for many young men (an perhaps women).
    The loss of freedom is part of living together, "my rights finishes where other's rights began". Nowadays, everyone is focused on his/her rights, none on his duties. Conscription was a way to learn / remember that.

Marksmanship can be learned before enrolling, basics can be acquired with a 22lr between 50 and 200m.
    It is a school of self control and mental strength. It does not require some specific physical skills.
    Marksmanship is one of the ways to reduce ammunition consumption, improving fire support.
    Last edited by jps2; 07-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.