Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
NO ROADS. None where I train, none in A-stan (what we train for). Can take my team several hours to move a few klicks due to terrain, weight of equipment (physical conditioning only helps so much) and, ta-da, the need to not be seen or comprimised (i.e. we are not moving out on trails or roads even if available).
Reed
Getting back to the subject, terrain is the primary key for distance and range is dependent on that. Jungle, urban or mountainous terrain (with without cover), infrastructure and the type of enemy faced, all decide the recon/scout element as well as the use of snipers. It is vital for a battalion commander to have knowledge of the terrain and enemy he faces. Can we stick to ideas on this please. Personally I believe a recon/surveillance platoon organic to the battalion, and a sniper section/squad is an invaluable asset. Their issue/or misuse and continuation training has more effect on the battlefield. There was no section marksmen when I served (and I do not go into combat) but even on peacetime exercises the best shot assumed the role of a squad marksman. Squad and platoon commanders adjusted their structures so that their skills were best utilized.