...is paved with?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
This leads me to say that we do not simply need new ISAF COIN tactics; but rather we need a new overall strategic approach.
This strategy is not going to spring forth fully formed; none-the-less I see the new policy as an important step on this journey. If we accept that a sustainable solution is favored, and if we are able accept that sustainable is defined as the condition in which resources used are less than or equal to resources generated, then perhaps we can be effective partners in a regional solution.

Most are coming on line to agree that the Westphalian construct of what a state is, or is not, is evolving. Yet few are willing to adjust how they think about dealing with such challenges to the old view of sovereignty. To this I simply suggest: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow."

A form of dual-citizenship coupled with unique rights and governmental organizations that give the tribes a voice in both states.
I disagree here BW, dual-citizenship is definitely a Westphalian construct...we are back to states here...and the tax-lawyers are salivating.

A trip to the US-Mexico border might be instructive with respect to examples of commonly found clashes between strategy formulated elsewhere and operational & tactical realities found on the ground...

All I know for sure is that what we are currently doing is not working, and the slight tweak of tactics proposed by ISAF is too little too late. But it is not too late to make a major change of strategy.
Elections first, then perhaps some substantive discussions among Afghanistan, Turkey, Russia, Iran, India, Pakistan, EU, China, and the US....