Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

Entering into this "game" can be a dangerous endeavor particularly if you are naive to the rules. I've observed a direct correlation from those that take the non-kinetic version of pop-centric COIN to heart and those that are most succeptable to being used or manipulated by the tribal elder that smiles, speaks good english, and only wants to be a friend to the United States...

As I continue to shape my own thoughts on COIN, I keep coming back to the same limitations- external military force can only be used to provide security. In other words, we can go into an area, become the biggest tribe, and use force and influence to minimize the levels of violence. We cannot install democracy, governance, etc...Those measures will take a concerted effort by the host nation and our state department, NGOs, etc...
Completely agree. Going back to the ISAF Guidance, its continual reference to ISAF's responsibility to the people of Afghanistan, as a seperate issue from our responsability to support the Government of Afghanistan, is "entering into this game" in a very big way.

Phil Ridderhof USMC