I am working on application essays for graduate programs in international security studies. One of the questions I must answer is what I plan to do with my expensive education. While I am not bound to what I write, I would like to provide the best answer I can. Consideration of my interests has led me to the following potential research and career focus:

Research Focus
How the military engages "irregular" forces like insurgents, militias, and terrorists. Studies: Examine theory, doctrine, TTPs, etc. to gain a picture of the most current thinking and literature (publicly available); look at case studies involving US military and other Western and Eastern militaries; and write a masters thesis.

Career Goal
Work for a USG/DOD institution or think tank to produce information products or advise civilian and military officials. The goal being to positively influence thinking and policy in this area.

Key Questions for the Community
1. Can you make a career out of this?
2. Can you do this without military experience?
3. Are there any questions I should be asking?

Since members of this forum come from varied academic and professional backgrounds with relevant expertise, I decided a public request for information might be helpful for me (and anyone else who finds this). Thanks in advance for your comments!