Thread: Looking for young vet/MP

Default Looking for young vet/MP

Sorry to invade your gathering space, but hope you won't mind an inquiry from a reporter.

I'm with Governing, a state and local government magazine based in DC. I'm doing a story about how states decide when people are adults and why there are different ages for drinking, driving, voting, military service, etc.

I mentioned to my editor that a 20-year-old MP wouldn't be able to get work in domestic law enforcement as most police and sheriff departments require new recruits be minimum age 21. So now I'm looking for someone under 21, an MP who has just left the service, preferably someone interested in becoming a cop, to talk to.

If you are that person or can recommend anyone, please let me know. You can check out our magazine at governing.com.

Thanks very much,

Alan Greenblatt
    Governing

Please contact via PM for POC information.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 08-29-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Wrong forum.

You'll probably have a hard time with that, since most enlistments are 4+ years and you can't enlist until 17.

So a veteran MP will almost always be over 21, unless separated early for some reason, so you must be cautious you don't get someone discharged for various offenses, other than medical chapters.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Perhaps a National Guard MP unit might be what you are looking for. In that case, it may be easier to Google the nearest one and call them directly. It is plausible that a 20-year-old National Guard MP Soldier is attempting to get into law enforcement as his civilian job. Also, there seems to be a lot of law enforcement officers who serve in the National Guard, so they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

It used to be that everyone who enlisted, whether active duty or NG/Reserves, incurred a minimum 8-year service obligation (the US Army offering 2 to 5 years of active duty stints and the remainder in the Guard for example). I could be wrong as I retired more than a decade ago .

Still, I'm not sure an individual with 2 years under his/her belt would do much for your query and subsequent story. I recall a friend leaving the service to become a Capital cop. The second they saw his discharge was the second his interview ended.

I also think your criteria is too narrow. There are far more military that join law enforcement than just MPs. Just check out the CVs on line.

By the way, in Dallas you can join law enforcement at 19 1/2 years old (with 90 hours of college). And, if that isn't incentive enough, Colorado has an Explorer/Cadet program where you can get rolling at 14 or 15 and completed 8th grade !

I'll also echo Cavguy's word of caution. I'm not sure I would gain much from an individual who served 2 or 3 years active duty. I'd be wondering why he/she got out (other than a medical discharge).
    If you want to blend in, take the bus