Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inglorious Basterds

Default Tarantino May Have the Only Answer

It's not perfect but is probably effective.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinst...riousbasterds/

If you don't have Quicktime...(lower quality youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcoPxyxpE9A
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Council Member

Default good movie

I'm looking forward to this film's release. The Dirty Dozen meets Kill Bill. Can't ask for anything better than that.
    "What do you think this is, some kind of encounter group?"
    - Harry Callahan, The Enforcer.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Huge, Huge fan of Tarantino. Up there with Clausewitz, Natalie Portman, and Micheal Mann.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Well THAT looked completely stupid.

I imagine it will consist of every lie, misperception and negative stereotype about every WWII movie ever made.

In other words, the largely ignorant American public will lap it up.

Kind of a "Pear Harbor" meets "Titanic" bit of complete ####crap.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Well THAT looked completely stupid.

I imagine it will consist of every lie, misperception and negative stereotype about every WWII movie ever made.

In other words, the largely ignorant American public will lap it up.

Kind of a "Pear Harbor" meets "Titanic" bit of complete ####crap.
    Holy cynicism, Batman!

SFC W

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    Holy cynicism, Batman!

SFC W

Ah, yes. A month and a half in the field here has exposed my superpower of "being cynical".

My job is done, here.....

It's a remake of an Italian movie. Need I say more?
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Default Inglorious Basterds

Yes. That's how the title is spelled. And yes, there are spoilers.

I did not like this film at all. I'm not a big fan of Tarantino, and I understand that his movies are notoriously violent. However, I think this film marks a radical departure, not only in its delivery but also in its reception, from his previous films. In Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, the characters were criminals. In Kill Bill, assassins. However, in this film, they are soldiers (American, Wehrmacht, and SS). The film depicts American soldiers, all of them Jewish, 1) torturing, mutilating and murdering prisoners (in one scene, a captured German soldier is beat to death by a bat after refusing to reveal the position of another German patrol); 2) shooting trapped and unarmed persons, among them civilians (several hundred functionaries of the German government, including their guests, are trapped in a burning cinema while also being gunned down) 3) and even the execution of a suicide bombing (at the same cinema). The only reason given for all of these atrocities is that the enemy are 'Nazis', but the actions of the protagonists reflect Nazi behavior more than the actual Nazis in the film. The only actual wrong-doing in the film by Nazi characters is the murder of several civilians in the opening scene (and it's not depicted). The most heroic character is actually a German sniper who is praised for his actions during a battle in which he single-handedly held off an (apparently American) infantry battalion. In the end, I almost felt sympathetic for the German characters -- only to realize that some of them were Nazis; which left me confused and bitter at the credits.

I'm also disappointed but not entirely surprised with the reception of the movie.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by AmericanPride; 08-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Thanks for the head's up. I think I'll skip that movie, watch G.I. Joe, and relive my childhood dream of becoming Snake Eyes.

v/r

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Yes. That's how the title is spelled. And yes, there are spoilers.

I did not like this film at all. I'm not a big fan of Tarantino, and I understand that his movies are notoriously violent.
    As a novelist and some time film writing student, I consider Tarantino up there with Sergio Leone, and/or John Le Carre, plus Cormac McCarthy. I consider him immensely talented and I do like most of his work, but strangely there is very little you can learn from it, and unlike Leone, Le Carre and McCarthy, there is almost utter absence of a moral centre in his work, and this is very disturbing.
    McCarthy just shows how evil endures and lives on, and despairs of it. Even with Thomas Harris, Hannibal Lechter only predates on the deserving.
    The problem with Tarantino is that evil (as opposed to violence) seems "cool," and that does give me pause.

To quote Kirk Lazarus, "You never go full retard."
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default An interpretation of current events...

...in an imagined historical setting.

Wilf,

I too am a Quentin Tarantino fan, and have always enjoyed film/photography/art. This one was interesting, about 1/3 was in English the rest was in French and German with a bit of Italian thrown in...Christoph Waltz was amazing (his English, German, and Italian were flawless...I don't do French so I can't say definitively but he seemed to be rocking the French as well). Diane Kruger is certainly easy on the eyes and enjoyable to listen to as she traveled seamlessly from French, German, and English

For me it was an interesting juxtaposition of our hopes for civil society and the impulses of our bestial nature... as one of my literature teachers told me way back when "...it's all about man's inhumanity to man."
    Sapere Aude

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    For me it was an interesting juxtaposition of our hopes for civil society and the impulses of our bestial nature... as one of my literature teachers told me way back when "...it's all about man's inhumanity to man."
    All for that, as long as inhumanity is shown as inhumanity, and not sport without consequence.
    American Psycho is very interesting in that dimension. That being said, I feel more comfortable with the Military Art, than I do art!

I appreciate Wilf's analysis of the absence of a moral center and it's very clear that it's also absent in IB. I agree with surferbeetle about the performance of Christoph Waltz, and while a sophisticated, precise, and amoral SS Colonel, I have a hard time seeing the character as a villian. I suppose practical amorality is preferable to outright depravity.

Surfer, what did you mean by this statement:

An interpretation of current events......in an imagined historical setting.
    Also, for the group, why do you think the movie is receiving so much praise from both thte film establishment and the public in general?
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

I saw it as a Jewish revenge fantasy. The Nazis are our favorite bad guys, so naturally it would be enjoyable to see them maimed and killed on screen. That is why I expect it was so popular, and also why I personally liked it. His films are almost always excellent.

Default No earth-shaking answers...

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Surfer, what did you mean by this statement:
    "An interpretation of current events......in an imagined historical setting."
    IMHO morality plays such as this movie are a vehicle for our democratic society/culture to examine/discuss some of our motives (revenge, greed, peace, civil society, what have you), desires, and the value of the associated actions and resulting outcomes with which we assist with or which are taken in our name.

This movie posed the following questions to me:

Is revenge justified?
    Does a pre-emptive/optional war (raid) cost less than a forced war?
    What are the associated costs of targeted killings?
    What are acceptable methods of violence?
    How does violence change those who practice it?
    Why do we practice violence?
    Is violence the only answer?

I see the movie as important in that it pushes (parts) of our democratic society to try and answer these, and other questions, for ourselves. Like some I get paid by members of my society/culture/government to solve problems by either building things or taking life/setting the process of taking life into motion. I have been a few places, seen a few things, and have had the good fortune to have (more or less) launched my kids out of the nest. Despite (or perhaps as a result of) this background I still have more questions than answers about things.

In the meantime, just like everyone else on this globe, I just try and enjoy life while it’s mine to enjoy.
    Sapere Aude

Post Haven't seen it,

But from the previews, write ups, and such that I've seen Figured it would be a hollywood-ish effort at bringing the American soldier down a notch or two in relation to being so much better than others.(morally that is) Could be mistaken though never been a huge fan of wanton violence without moral purpose movies.

Thus not super enthused about watching it. Think I'll check out GI Joe
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post

To quote Kirk Lazarus, "You never go full retard."
    Just saw that last night. (Tropic Thunder) Hilarious.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    But from the previews, write ups, and such that I've seen Figured it would be a hollywood-ish effort at bringing the American soldier down a notch or two in relation to being so much better than others.(morally that is) Could be mistaken though never been a huge fan of wanton violence without moral purpose movies.

Thus not super enthused about watching it. Think I'll check out GI Joe
    I very much disagree. I don't think it is at all about bringing the American soldier down a moral notch. I think you should at least go see it before you decide that is the case. I thought it was fascinating.

Here are two reviews from my favorite alternative news source:

http://exiledonline.com/inglourious-...g-boring-both/http://exiledonline.com/inglourious-...g-boring-both/

http://exiledonline.com/tarantinos-h...european-race/http://exiledonline.com/tarantinos-h...european-race/

@Cavguy

Tropic thunder was pretty funny I agree. The scene where "Flaming dragon" calls to demand ransom money and is instead chewed out by Cruise is awesome. For those who haven't seen it, check the scene out.

Default Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    IMHO morality plays such as this movie are a vehicle for our democratic society/culture to examine/discuss some of our motives (revenge, greed, peace, civil society, what have you), desires, and the value of the associated actions and resulting outcomes with which we assist with or which are taken in our name.

This movie posed the following questions to me:

Is revenge justified?
    Does a pre-emptive/optional war (raid) cost less than a forced war?
    What are the associated costs of targeted killings?
    What are acceptable methods of violence?
    How does violence change those who practice it?
    Why do we practice violence?
    Is violence the only answer?

I see the movie as important in that it pushes (parts) of our democratic society to try and answer these, and other questions, for ourselves. Like some I get paid by members of my society/culture/government to solve problems by either building things or taking life/setting the process of taking life into motion. I have been a few places, seen a few things, and have had the good fortune to have (more or less) launched my kids out of the nest. Despite (or perhaps as a result of) this background I still have more questions than answers about things.

In the meantime, just like everyone else on this globe, I just try and enjoy life while it’s mine to enjoy.
    I recant my previous post...I'm so going to see Inglorious Bastards AND GI Joe now Lots to think about.

v/r

Mike

Council Member

AmericanPride

It's a comic book. That's what people like Tarantino, and Robert Rodriguez do. They make comic book movies. Probably won't go see it, think I'll wait for the DVD to end up in a pawnshop, rent it from an on-line vender.