Thread: Inglorious Basterds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    For me it was an interesting juxtaposition of our hopes for civil society and the impulses of our bestial nature... as one of my literature teachers told me way back when "...it's all about man's inhumanity to man."
    All for that, as long as inhumanity is shown as inhumanity, and not sport without consequence.
    American Psycho is very interesting in that dimension. That being said, I feel more comfortable with the Military Art, than I do art!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

I appreciate Wilf's analysis of the absence of a moral center and it's very clear that it's also absent in IB. I agree with surferbeetle about the performance of Christoph Waltz, and while a sophisticated, precise, and amoral SS Colonel, I have a hard time seeing the character as a villian. I suppose practical amorality is preferable to outright depravity.

Surfer, what did you mean by this statement:

An interpretation of current events......in an imagined historical setting.
    Also, for the group, why do you think the movie is receiving so much praise from both thte film establishment and the public in general?
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

I saw it as a Jewish revenge fantasy. The Nazis are our favorite bad guys, so naturally it would be enjoyable to see them maimed and killed on screen. That is why I expect it was so popular, and also why I personally liked it. His films are almost always excellent.

Post Haven't seen it,

But from the previews, write ups, and such that I've seen Figured it would be a hollywood-ish effort at bringing the American soldier down a notch or two in relation to being so much better than others.(morally that is) Could be mistaken though never been a huge fan of wanton violence without moral purpose movies.

Thus not super enthused about watching it. Think I'll check out GI Joe
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    But from the previews, write ups, and such that I've seen Figured it would be a hollywood-ish effort at bringing the American soldier down a notch or two in relation to being so much better than others.(morally that is) Could be mistaken though never been a huge fan of wanton violence without moral purpose movies.

Thus not super enthused about watching it. Think I'll check out GI Joe
    I very much disagree. I don't think it is at all about bringing the American soldier down a moral notch. I think you should at least go see it before you decide that is the case. I thought it was fascinating.

Here are two reviews from my favorite alternative news source:

http://exiledonline.com/inglourious-...g-boring-both/http://exiledonline.com/inglourious-...g-boring-both/

http://exiledonline.com/tarantinos-h...european-race/http://exiledonline.com/tarantinos-h...european-race/

@Cavguy

Tropic thunder was pretty funny I agree. The scene where "Flaming dragon" calls to demand ransom money and is instead chewed out by Cruise is awesome. For those who haven't seen it, check the scene out.

Default No earth-shaking answers...

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Surfer, what did you mean by this statement:
    "An interpretation of current events......in an imagined historical setting."
    IMHO morality plays such as this movie are a vehicle for our democratic society/culture to examine/discuss some of our motives (revenge, greed, peace, civil society, what have you), desires, and the value of the associated actions and resulting outcomes with which we assist with or which are taken in our name.

This movie posed the following questions to me:

Is revenge justified?
    Does a pre-emptive/optional war (raid) cost less than a forced war?
    What are the associated costs of targeted killings?
    What are acceptable methods of violence?
    How does violence change those who practice it?
    Why do we practice violence?
    Is violence the only answer?

I see the movie as important in that it pushes (parts) of our democratic society to try and answer these, and other questions, for ourselves. Like some I get paid by members of my society/culture/government to solve problems by either building things or taking life/setting the process of taking life into motion. I have been a few places, seen a few things, and have had the good fortune to have (more or less) launched my kids out of the nest. Despite (or perhaps as a result of) this background I still have more questions than answers about things.

In the meantime, just like everyone else on this globe, I just try and enjoy life while it’s mine to enjoy.
    Sapere Aude

Default Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    IMHO morality plays such as this movie are a vehicle for our democratic society/culture to examine/discuss some of our motives (revenge, greed, peace, civil society, what have you), desires, and the value of the associated actions and resulting outcomes with which we assist with or which are taken in our name.

This movie posed the following questions to me:

Is revenge justified?
    Does a pre-emptive/optional war (raid) cost less than a forced war?
    What are the associated costs of targeted killings?
    What are acceptable methods of violence?
    How does violence change those who practice it?
    Why do we practice violence?
    Is violence the only answer?

I see the movie as important in that it pushes (parts) of our democratic society to try and answer these, and other questions, for ourselves. Like some I get paid by members of my society/culture/government to solve problems by either building things or taking life/setting the process of taking life into motion. I have been a few places, seen a few things, and have had the good fortune to have (more or less) launched my kids out of the nest. Despite (or perhaps as a result of) this background I still have more questions than answers about things.

In the meantime, just like everyone else on this globe, I just try and enjoy life while it’s mine to enjoy.
    I recant my previous post...I'm so going to see Inglorious Bastards AND GI Joe now Lots to think about.

v/r

Mike