Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: War Stories/Memoirs from a JO's Perspective

Council Member

Smile

Also try...The Frontier Legion by Frank Leeson, Frontier Scouts by H.R.C. Pettigrew, Victory Point by Ed Darack, The Village by Bing West, and This Man's Army by Andrew Exum.

If You Survive by George Wilson
    Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters
    Doing Battle by Paul Fussell (the first part)
    Company Commander by Charles B. McDonald
    all of the above by U.S. WWII small unit commanders.

In Deadly Combat by Gottlieb H. Bidermann
    he started as a landser in the beginning of the war, was promoted to Lt. and finished up in Courland.

With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledger
    The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
    both superb and a view of what good officers look like when viewed from below.

There is another one, very good, by a British platoon commander who fought in Abyssinia (and was captured by the Italians there) and Italy. I forgot the name and will keep searching. David, do know this one?
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Alas no

Carl & others,

There is another one, very good, by a British platoon commander who fought in Abyssinia (and was captured by the Italians there) and Italy. I forgot the name and will keep searching. David, do know this one?
    No, these few clues don't help; although very few were captured in the Abyssinian campaign to my very limited knowledge.

davidbfpo

Default Belated update

Carl PM'd me with the book title last year: Charlie Company by Peter Cochrane.

An excellent book. an interesting part was his account of the fighting in Ethiopia. the Italians could fight very hard if they wanted to.

Link to UK Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...MPBQQ1AVSKH2TP

It scores well there, alongside 'With the Jocks' which I have, so perhaps I'll find it next year.
    davidbfpo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    to "The Road Past Mandalay" by John Masters (not Majors) is also good.
    Must start with part 1:

Bugles and a Tiger: My Life in the Gurkhas - John Masters which covers his training and early days.

The Road Past Mandalay - John Masters which covers his WW2 experiences.

Default John Masters

Agree entirely. I first read Bugles and a Tiger in the late 1960s as a boy in India. I have read and re-read each many times. (As well his India based historical fiction. All great except for the tedious Ravi Lancers.) I can't recommend Masters too highly.

Also "Not a Good Day to Die." After studying Anaconda at War College, I had a chance to discuss it with some of the participants. It's a great example of how not to organize and structure a combat force and how highly motivated soldiers try to overcome imposed limitations. (Thanks Don Rumsfeld!)
    Last edited by aercdr; 12-22-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Lightbulb

I would recommend "Colder than Hell" by Joseph Owen. Found it to be a very interesting presentation of the Korean War.
    Also, Ernst Juenger's memoir "Storm of Steel" about the author's experience in World War I is worth reading.

Lena

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse9252 View Post
    As a newly minted 2nd Lieutenant awaiting TBS at Quantico, I've been trying to get in as much reading as possible before hitting "The Big Suck." Given my professional path, I'm particularly interested in personal accounts of young junior officers grappling with their training, first experiences of command, combat, etc.

I've read a few already (a list follows), but I am hoping to tap into the SWC brain trust for further suggestions. Any additional recommendations? Comments/critiques of books on the list already? And more broadly, what books (of any sort) do you feel offer particular insight into the challenges facing a company-grade officer?

Thanks,
    JS
    A great memoir--> "The Forgotten Soldier" by G. Sager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Sajer