You might also consider the Athenian General's request (I think it was Nicias??) who is reported to have thought that if he sent an outrageous request back to Athens for more men and ships they'd call the mission off. Instead they fulfilled the request (with some extra to boot), but no allowment was made for cavalry and it did not turn out so well.

This may have been a case where the CDR might have been better off just saying this is a bad idea - but I think the political body had already been sold on it, so they'd probably have just sacked him (or worse)

I think what you will probably find more historical examples of disagreements over operational approaches (e.g. "here first", or "in this manner vs. another") between military and political leaders - which is kind of the "once it is started, let me execute it - or atleast do my job" argument.

There is also the discussion of "means" required to enable an operational approach - of which I thought a good recent example of such discussion showed up on the SWJ blog wrt SWC Council member COL Gian Gentile's response to the article written by Anthony Cordesman where he ref. the opening years of the Civil War before Lincoln promoted Grant.

Best, Rob