View Poll Results: How would you rate the BEST training you received via IMI in the military?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Horrible

0 0%
  • Bad

0 0%
  • Not bad, but not all that good either (yawn)

2 100.00%
  • Good

0 0%
  • Excellent

0 0%

Thread: Interactive Multimedia Instruction (IMI) Poll

Default Interactive Multimedia Instruction (IMI) Poll

For those who have received training via some form of IMI in the military, please rate your impression of the BEST IMI course you have been enrolled in, based on its overall effectiveness and your willingness to take another course of similar characteristics.

Also, any comments about what you think is great about recent IMI products (and what really stinks) are most welcome.

The answers go to work with me, where I make IMI at a corporation that specializes in producing training products. I'm not really looking for impressions from the schoolhouse, but rather from the end-users - the people who put this stuff to work in mud after they log-off and roll-out.
    Last edited by Wargames Mark; 09-02-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    There are three kinds of people in this world:
    Those who can count, and those who can't.

Council Member

IMI- Hate it for several reasons.
    -Easy to mandate by those at "echelons above reality" (as the Army guys would say, I think) but impose a growing burden on the operational world.
    -Cutesy, fancy, flashy presentations waste our time without a lot of value added.
    -Do not, do not, do not force me to listen to a narrator for information. I'll click through it, let it play on mute while I get actual work done, etc. Put information in text so that I can read/skim through it which goes a lot more quickly than listening to some narrator. Plus, it lets people who know the material or don't care skim through and glean key info while letting those who need more time with the material read more slowly and revisit the info. Audio does not force me to listen to what I would not read. It makes me turn the sound off. At least with text I'll take a quick glance.
    -Flashy media is often bogged down by military internet connections.
    -Simple media items that the tech geeks think everyone has on their computer may not be present on military computers. I'm the victim of a new set of IMI that we are required to complete, but none of the computers at my unit can run it due to a missing "codec." Since we can't load software on our own computers, I had to call the central help desk, where they spent an hour trying to remotely fix my computer to no avail. Now we are marching toward the deadline for course completion and no one has gotten their computer fixed so they can even start doing the course.
    -All too often, the IMIs are making us do courses we would have blown off in the past, while they haven't caught up to the courses we have to take every year and would be more efficient online. Example, I'd much rather click through a IMI for my yearly NBC or marksmanship fundamentals classes that I've had 12 times now, but I still have to go sit out on bleachers and listen to an instructor who really wants to be a DI enjoy his opportunity to waste our time and treat us like recruits.