Point A- Either you mean 1. for me to tell you what metrics we currently measure or 2. tell you where Afghanistan stands with regards to my metrics in point B. Basically, for part 1, I don't think the US Army does measure any metrics worth measuring except maybe body count. It is one of my major criticisms with our leadership. As for point 2, as a lowly officer stationed in Arizona, it is next to impossible for me to know country-wide metrics on Afghanistan, don't you think?

As to Point B- A single post on a forum could never describe all the metrics we should measure in Afghanistan. As I have said, I think keeping a nation from falling into a failed state status is the best metric. So, I would refer you to Peace and Conflict 2010 and would copy the metrics they use. It is a think tank but I like their work. Of course, any other think tank measuring either stabiity or democracy would work.

As to "Tell me how you get from Point A to Point B.", I really wish I could but I have to say I cannot. In short, I would say GEN McChrystal's plan or population-centric COIN, but if I were smart enough to tell you the way out of Afghanistan in a forum post, then I would be general of the Army and not a simple Captain.

But we do have a tangible goal in Afghanistan, to keep it from failing and becoming again a safe haven for Al Qaeda or other Islamic extremists who use terrorism.