Thread: Small Kill Teams in Iraq

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Small Kill Teams in Iraq

I'm looking for any information that any of you may have or used in reference to Small Kill Teams and their use against IED/mortar emplacement. Characteristics, composition, and TTP's would be great if you have it. Or if you have any idea where I can find some info on it. From what I understand, it's a newer idea and still developing.

I see you posted the same query over on LF.net...In what context have you heard of these teams, Army or Marine Corps? That might help narrow things down a bit.

Council Member

Specific characteristics, composition, and TTP's of any counter-IED effort should not be discussed on an open forum, period. Even if the question is of a probing, mischaracterized nature.

infantrygw21, it would be appreciated if you would at least state your background, or at least fill out your profile a bit better, before asking such questions.

Sorry, I'm an infantry officer in the army. I'll be deploying within the month and have been tasked with making a PPT for my bn LPD.

Small kill teams, I've also heard called Direct Action Teams. I'm not looking for any OPSEC compromising information. I'm looking to build a general guide line of what has been included in the team, ie rifle squad with sniper or rifle squad with MG team, how they were employed, what did you use them for, and what type of security/qrf did you use.

if you have any specefic questions of me, please pm me and I will gladly help out with more informationa bout myself.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by infantrygw21
    Sorry, I'm an infantry officer in the army. I'll be deploying within the month and have been tasked with making a PPT for my bn LPD.

Small kill teams, I've also heard called Direct Action Teams. I'm not looking for any OPSEC compromising information. I'm looking to build a general guide line of what has been included in the team, ie rifle squad with sniper or rifle squad with MG team, how they were employed, what did you use them for, and what type of security/QRF did you use.
    That last bit that I've highlighted is precisely OPSEC info when discussing counter-IED efforts.

As a US Army Infantry officer, you should know that the best place to post that question, if you don't have SIPR access, is on BCKS. Specifically, the Urban IED/VBIED & Insurgent TTPs subfolder in the COIN community.
    ...if you have any specefic questions of me, please pm me and I will gladly help out with more informationa bout myself.
    There's a Tell Us About You thread on this board for that very purpose.

Default Use CALL NIPR and SIPR sites

Small kill teams, I've also heard called Direct Action Teams. I'm not looking for any OPSEC compromising information. I'm looking to build a general guide line of what has been included in the team, ie rifle squad with sniper or rifle squad with MG team, how they were employed, what did you use them for, and what type of security/qrf did you use.

if you have any specefic questions of me, please pm me and I will gladly help out with more informationa bout myself.

Mate,

go to the CALL NIPR and SIPR sites and look there.

Best

Tom Odom

Council Member

Where are you stationed at? Some installations have created places where you can get on the clearance roster and "surf" the SIPR. However, if you do do that, you'll want to talk to your S-2 about handling the classified material that would encounter and how to make a classified and unclassified version of your briefing.

Council Member

There's enough unclass/FOUO info available that he shouldn't have to worry about clearance issues involved in prepping a classified brief.

If he really is a cherry LT, he needs to start learning yesterday how to use AKO, BCKS, CALL and the rest of the info resources available to him.

I've already provided a link to a specific BCKS community that should be of use. As a retiree, I no longer have access to CALL (Tom, since you are the CALL rep on SWC, I hold you responsible for that), so I can't say what is currently available.

I also recommend the AKO KC folder CENTCOM IED Training, where you will find the Joint IED Defeat Task Force ppt brief IED Defeat - Staff Process (large file - 123 slides). Ambush Teams are discussed within the brief.