Thread: Latest CJR -- Ricks

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Michael C View Post
    Not surprised, but for most of my fellow officers they are the books that they read and say, "OK these are things I can do." I would love to know your recommendations on books or articles that provide actionable tips for currently serving officers.
    The books and actionable tips should be contained in the Formation and Theatre Commanders guidance and orders. - that's the point! You cannot have highly specific, context critical guidance in books. The Brits wrote manuals for each theatre. - well only Malaya - but after that all the writing was theatre specific.
    Except straight from the horse's mouth FM 3-24: "Insurgency and its tactics are as old as warfare itself." Also, the most commonly cited counter-insurgency experts is David Galula and he published a long time ago.
    Insurgency and it's tactics are as old as warfare. - so how come the US is now suddenly learning about it? It's the Counter-insurgency ideas that are up for grabs.
    Galula, IIRC, dates from 1964.

Unfortunately, I see Clausewitz more as the father of WWI and the Cold War and less useful for messy political wars. That is just my opinion I haven't read him, I only know who he has influenced.
    Huh?? How on earth you can come to that conclusion is beyond me. Go and look at the politics of the time Clausewitz was writing or the Politics of the classical ages with which he was familiar. Messy beyond beleif - as ALL politics is.
    Clausewitz's writings had nothing do do with the conduct of WW1. You cannot blame Clausewitz for Wars conduct.

Clausewitz would certainly have understood 911 better than most. He is the best possible perspective to explain and interpret modern conflicts. What people don't like is that his observations forces them to recognise certain fundamental problems with their understanding of strategy.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-18-2009 at 11:07 AM.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition