In other threads, Schmedlap, Surfbeetle, Dahayun and other, have really tried to tear this thing to shreds, and build a way forward.

I believe that, in Afghanistan, there are two critical elements:

1. Someone needs to make a strategic decision as to how governments should function. National down to Governate? Governate to District? My guess is that the answer is complex: certain structures for certain areas (Example: Rural vs. Urban schools, with rural schools as a different, more expeditionary management structure and operation than traditional urban schools). Now, we have Adm. Mullen being asked to provide universities down to Marjah to train engineers, doctors and lawyers. Are we just making this up?

2. A unique civilian system needs to be developed, probably anchored at the RC level, to link systems of reconstruction and resources between national/UN/NGO/Governate levels, and the field, with substantial cross-training and support to make military implementers more effective and coordinated---but based on lots of small, local projects building within a bigger framework---this instead of an Iraq approach where existing systems were simply being reactivated and repaired.

How to make military implementers more effective without embarking on something absurd and ineffective? Plenty of ways that are not being used.

The solution is not on the table today. I am waiting for the right folks to ask the right questions so that answers can be created. Maybe, soon????

Steve