Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shadow on the Sun

Breakfast sounded so good I am going to have to go to Omelet House and get some

Default Chapter Three: War Machine

Chapter Three: War Machine

I can tell you why people die alone
    I can tell you why- shadow on the sun
    Staring at the loss
    looking for the cause
    And never really sure
    Nothing but a hope
    to live without a soul
    and nothing to be learned

Days when I have nothing, days when I'm spiritually, physically, and emotionally broke and done, days when it all comes back to me, I get a note from one of my boys- a wedding here, a birthday there, or a newborn coming that brings my actions to full verse. They always end their note with a thank you for making it all possible. I am humbled and full from commander to a father and brother, and I resolve to write my own song- a lifesong of brotherhood and sacrifice that transcends modern thought. During these days, I remember. As my wise sage continually reminds me, it must be done.

Something real. Something we were all grasping for in that fall as Iraq descended into chaos.

We took the fight to the enemy. Delusions of grand victory marginalized our own thought for far too many years as we engaged in small war. To fully understand, we must head back to Thanksgiving 2006 to realize how one spartan squadron began to dismantle an al Qaeda training camp. I promise you this is a story that you've never heard. If you remember, this story was shelved underneath Nancy Pelosi's ramblings about how Iraq was in shambles and Sean Hannity's worthless commentary to place a yellow ribbon on a car to support the troops. This story was real.

Turki Village, Iraq, late November 2006

As we maneuvered along the road, two of my four radios burst with traffic as my convoy abrubtly stopped.

"Shadow Six, this is Red One. Contact IED, Out."

"Headhunter 71, this is Charlie Seven. Contact with small arms fire with seven to ten dismounts, Out."

I grabbed the company hand-mike.

"Red One, Shadow Six. Roger understand, Pushing EOD forward. EOD, did you moniter."

"Roger, sir. Enroute."

"Red six, Shadow six. I"m dismounting to your position."

Charlie troop was taking fire, and I was stuck blocked by a mine in the road. My emotions went numb. It was time for this fight. This fight was a long time coming. Two years ago, I watched the last round of this Turki Bowl as four Americans were killed in an ambush along the same spot. At the time, I was a staff pogue watching a Predator feed. Today was different- I was the commander on the ground.

We knew this was a sacred ground for the presumed Islamic State of Iraq. To date, we were afraid to enter. This risks were far too high for our elite Delta Force, Ranger Regiments, or Special Forces to clear. Everyone left this area alone. Everyone was wrong. The risks were moot. It needed to be done. This area produces fighters deep into the fight in Baqubah, Baghdad, and beyond. It was time to end it just like the strykers would end the shia revolt in najaf and 3rd ID would venture to Lake Thar Thar. It needed to be done.

The airborne recon descended. We walked into hell.

I walked forward to the front of my line towards the IED. My emotions went numb. I felt nothing.

Much is about to happen..More to follow as I finally tell this tale...Sometimes there is just nothing to say. As a hundred fighters were left dead, this tale must be said. Stacked bodies upon bodies, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. It will take some time, but it must be done.

The real surge will come undone. One trench, one grenade at a time.
    Last edited by MikeF; 10-13-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Default Ramadon Feast 2006

If you have chance to meet upon me, if by chance we meet, then I can't begin to explain. It's all rusty now trying to explain...I crashed down into the festival tent.

Ramadan Feast 2006

Somber hardly describes our Ramadan Feast. This sacred time demanded by Mohammed of fasting and prayer was interrupted by al Qaeda attacks. On October 16th, as we broke into prayer and fast, al Qaeda declared Baqubah its new caliphate. They descended upon the town with multiple assualts.

"Shadow Six, this is Lion Six."

"Lion Six, Shadow Six."

"Shadow Six, we're engaging multiple attacks in Baqubah. The city is under siege. I am out of forces. Can you reinforce?"

"Roger sir. What do you need?"

"Shadow Six, Lion 6. Send one patrol south to reinforce the Baqubah ERF."

"Lion Six, Shadow Six, Wilco."

I was down to thirty men. White was on EOD alert, and Blue was supporting the MiTT, military transition teams. I called Red.

"Red Four, Shadow Six. Move to REDCON One and head to my position."

"Shadow Six, Red Four. Moving."

Mike Anderson, Red One, was down with the flu. I would get to play platoon leader again.

SFC Gonzales arrived at our headquarters. We ventured south.

Working our way along the road attacking south, signs of battle scared the road in destroyed buildings, potholes schoured from explosives, and overpasses undone. As we crept into the fight, we began to receive incoming fire, the rounds skirting and skippin over our the hoods of our HMWWs.

"Shadow Six, Red Four, receiving rounds from the west, over."

"Red Four, Shadow Six. Understand all. Have gunners duck down into position, acquire targets, and engage, out."

I looked to my right. Mountains of urban terrain engulfed the view. To my immediate front, I observed a bus stop and a squad of Iraqi infantrymen in the prone position firing on enemy positions..

"Rocky, follow me." I yelled at my interpreter as I exited my HMMWV assuming the prone next to the squad.

"Who's in charge?" I demanded as the rounds passed us.

"I am," the squad leader answered.

"What do you need my boys to do?" I asked.

"Sir, this is an Iraqi fight. We got this," he replied.

As the rounds passed by us, I paused and made my terp retranslate.

"Roger, good work." we got back in our vehicles and headed south.

We drove around Baqubah for several hours. We watched the Iraqi Army repel al Qaeda. We watched the casevacs and the retreats of damaged vehicles. We stood by ready to help, but they wanted to fight on their own. I was damn proud of them. They repelled al Qaeda without our help.

Several days later, I sat for dinner with Sheik Adnon al-Tamimi for the Ramadon feast.