Thread: Prep for Foreign Service Officer exam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Language Tests

Foreign Service Institute (FSI) language tests measure speaking and reading ability, with separate numerical scores for each. For example, 3/3 is usually the grade sought after completing FSI language training and usually adequate for work purposes. I've taken walk-in tests at FSI but don't know how they would measure the reading part through a phone conversation.

I wouldn't worry too much about "passing" the test because if it is an evaluation for job candidacy purposes then the objective is to measure actual language ability. The standard Arabic language training program for State employees consists of one year of intensive language training at FSI (more properly known as NFATC - National Foreign Affairs Training Center) in Arlington, Virginia, followed by a second year of intensive training in Tunis, Tunisia. Any candidate who has the ability to skip at least part of this training should have a benefit added to their ranking, although I am not sure exactly how this process works. (And the language incentive pay for "hard language" ability takes effect immediately after an employee scores a 3/3 on the relevant language.)

This is great information, thanks everyone for sharing. I was looking at FSO positions last week, even though I'm in no real position to even thinking about applying until this time next year.

So, there's an upper age limit; is there an average age for FSO applicants, in ya'lls experience?

Council Member

Default FSO personnel system

The upper age limit is 58, I believe, although it may be a little higher, I'm not completely sure. I think the rationale is that this limit allows a person enough time to gain tenure before facing mandatory retirement at 64. (New FSOs are on a 3-4 year probation period before receiving a full commission.) Fear of age discrimination suits seems to me to be a significant factor in this limit.

There seem to be exceptions to the above rule as when I was in Indiana this summer to help train newly-hired civilians going to Afghanistan I met a new USAID FSO on a limited (5 year) career appointment. He is 67 years old and a Marine veteran who had three tours in Vietnam with the CAP program, as a battery commander, and as an advisor to the Vietnamese Marine Corps.

I don't agree with the above age limit, I think it should be at somewhere in the mid to late 40s, maybe 48. The FSO personnel system is an up or out system modeled after the U.S. Navy officer system from about 1950. Each new officer theoretically has the ability to rise in ranks to become an Ambassador (about 10% make that goal) and is given 26 years from date of entry to make it into the Senior Foreign Service ranks or face mandatory retirement. Someone who becomes an FSO at 58 is obviously not going to have a full career.

Council Member

Default Median age of new FSOs

When I entered the Foreign Service in 1987 the median age in my class was about 30. I don't have any figures on recent classes but I suspect that it is in the mid to late 30's range.

So I still have time then! Time to plan ahead.

Thanks, PM FSO.