Thread: Prep for Foreign Service Officer exam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Question Prep for Foreign Service Officer exam

I'm taking the Foreign Service Officer exam in two weeks. Is there a way to prepare for this thing? It seems to be a potpourri of trivia, like Jeopardy, rather than an aptitude test or assessment of specific skills.

My impression is that it is just a quick check to verify that you read the news regularly, know basic facts and understand basic concepts related to economics and foreign affairs, and you are halfway compatible with a workforce of people whose focus is outside of our borders.

I did the practice test on the State Dept website - no issues there (though I think that one of their answers is incorrect). I generally don't spend too much time fretting over test prep - my preparation for the LSAT and GMAT consisted of purchasing the "for Dummies" book the day before each exam and things worked out okay. Unfortunately, I didn't see any "FSO Test for Dummies" book at B&N, so I'm going into this even more blind than with those previous tests.

I haven't taken the test myself, but I have known many people who have. In general, almost all of them passed. While true that they are all top students, I don't think that the test is itself the screen out factor. Most didn't pass the oral exam.
    Audentes adiuvat fortuna
    "Abu Suleyman"

Council Member

Default The test has changed

a great deal since I took it a hundred years ago. The State site is probably the best source of information. If there are any recent-select FSOs here, they can give specifics.

Back in the day, the written portion was an excuse to play Trivial Pursuit (r) with yourself, even if there was no hope or intent of passing. Full disclosure -- I was seriously considering leaving the military for the diplomatic corps, where my mother's side of the family was well established. AND, BOY, AM I GLAD I DIDN"T!!!! After service on four country teams, it became obvious to me that I was able to do all the diplomatic stuff the suits did, but I got to have all the fun that they didn't. And a couple of moments of unscheduled excitement.

As I understand it, the written test is still used as a "select out" process, while the interview portions are the "select in".

Council Member

Default Indeed, it has changed

I've had two of my students take it and pass it in the last year, Neither of them were invited to take the oral exam! When I took it - back in the 70s - if you passed the written, you were automatically in the oral. If you passed the oral, then, you went through the security clearance and medical clearance process. (Back then hypertension was disqualifying.)

Cheers

JohnT

Council Member

Thanks for the feedback (comments on this thread, as well as those who emailed me).

I guess my remaining questions are...

If you "pass" the test, but do not get asked for an interview, then what does it mean to "pass"?

Are different career tracks more competitive in terms of what it takes to get an interview? When I signed up, I had to choose one of five career tracks (I forget all of them now, but consular and economic were two of them - I chose economic). I'm guessing consular is the most competitive???

Was I about right in that you really can't prepare for this? I mean, I read what was on the State Dept website, took the practice exam, got 95%+ of the questions right, but it seems like a trivia game more than anything else. How does one prepare for trivial pursuit? My old roommate, disgusted with his performance at the trivial pursuit board game, pledged to watch one history channel documentary per night via Netflix's instant streaming video. But that doesn't seem like the best way to go about this.

Council Member

Default 2 suggestions:

1. Trust that your "liberal" education was adequate.
    2. Trust that your multiple guess test taking skills are well honed.

I like the way you pose the question about "passing" the exam. I guess that means there is passing and passing.

Consular and Administrative, in the past, were not among the most desired career patterns. Political and economic were the high prestige. Don't have a clue as to the fifth. Perhaps, P-M FSO can enlighten us on this and the other questions.

Cheers

JohnT

Default teach me military history

hi, last minute decision - i am taking the foreign service exam in february. im looking for someone to teach me american history, in specific- military history. yes, i could read all this, but i already have a huge reading list, and would prefer to discuss with someone knowledgeable. if you know the government system- about filibusters and other ridiculous things that would help too. im in nyc, so if you're in the area let me know. if not maybe we can do this over email or phone. let me know asap.

p.s. i can not pay you but if you're also planning to take the test then i am good in math/economics/geography and i can teach you. if you're good at everything i can teach you a another language. i speak many.

Registered User defense linguistics's Avatar

The FSOT shouldn't be a last-minute decision. It rewards humility and preparedness. Military history is of limited utility in passing. Reading a history of the U.s. Supreme Court would be my first choice in preparing for the written. Next, would be a diplomatic history.

Default Foreign Service Exam

I think a deliberate study of macroeconomics would serve you better in taking the exam. When I took it (a dozen years ago), I was surprised how much of the exam was purely economic in nature (fiscal policy impacts, net trade deficits, etc.). The historical questions really focused more on organizations (e.g., what ASEAN and OPEC stood for) rather than any military campaigns.

Good luck! After you pass the written exam, they'll invite you to an oral exam; pass that and they may make a job offer.

I recommend the book For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States of America, by Allan R. Millet & Peter Maslowski. It covers from Jamestown in 1607 to the end of Gulf War.

Any updates to this exceptional thread?

I am just about overcome with joy that my eldest daughter (who is not physically qualified for .mil service) has a strong interest in becoming an FSO. She won't start college until the coming Spring, but the time goes fast and she'll be taking the exam soon enough.

I've passed the test 3 times, what do you want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    I am just about overcome with joy that my eldest daughter (who is not physically qualified for .mil service) has a strong interest in becoming an FSO. She won't start college until the coming Spring, but the time goes fast and she'll be taking the exam soon enough.
    I have no input on the exam, but I do have a suggestion for college life more generally. If she is interested in doing study abroad I would recommend she consider doing it during her sophomore rather than junior year. The first semester of senior year is dedicated to beginning to wrap up college and beginning to organize for life after graduation. I have seen a lot of people coming back from time abroad wish they had more time to explore what they saw there in the classroom, and that is easier to do during junior year.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)