Thread: Prep for Foreign Service Officer exam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I took the language test for the FBI, and I'm sure it will be the same. You sit in a room by yourself and take the test over the phone. It lasts about an hour, and no specific questions are asked. You take the test over the phone with two native speaking individuals in whatever language you're testing. You start off with basic information about yourself (your background, what you like to do, etc.), and then transition in to conversation about politics, etc. There is no specific question that is asked, it's just a long conversation to test you in all tenses of a language in a variety of settings.

Council Member

Okay, I just got a letter emailed to me today, which reads as follows...

Dear [Schmedlap],
    Congratulations! The scores you achieved on your Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) qualify you for the next step of the Foreign Service Officer selection process, which is your prompt submission of a personal narrative for review by the Qualifications Evaluation Panel (QEP).
    Any tips on the narrative?

When I took the test last year, the narrative was submitted with the application for the written test. If I had it to do over again, I'd have probably gone into more detail than I did. Judging by what I've read in your posts, I'd say you have a background that will be interesting to the review panel, & you express yourself well. Respond to the questionnaire, & tell them who you are & where you've been.
    The big challenge seems to be the Oral Assessment. The explanatory materials on the DoS website explain the process well. There are three main components: a role-playing exercise with a group of applicants, a written exercise where you address a management problem, and a structured interview with two FSOs. The DoS website explains the process as well as I could ask for.
    I'm waiting for the security clearance before the next round before an evaluation panel.
    Best wishes.

Council Member

Default Narrative for FS Oral Exam

Schmedlap:

I would suggest that you stress some of the following issues:
    1. experience in foreign countries
    2. interaction with foreigners and understanding of foreign cultures
    3. understanding of, and experience with, the interagency process
    4. leadership experience
    5. program management experience

At the risk of impugning your intelligence, I would also advise avoiding the following:
    1. personal political, social, or religious opinions
    2. personal views about foreign policy execution
    3. pronouncements about grand strategy

A caveat: I do not know any FSOs who have actually served on the Board of Examiners (the entity that conducts the oral interviews). These positions are open to FSOs of any cone who have the appropriate rank but this is a niche area outside of the mainstream - not an assignment that usually attracts the ambitious or those identified as water walkers.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pol-Mil FSO View Post
    At the risk of impugning your intelligence, I would also advise avoiding the following...

2. personal views about foreign policy execution
    3. pronouncements about grand strategy
    Ha! I spent enough time riding Metro while in uniform to grow very weary of hearing those from every random yahoo who thought that I had a direct line to the SECDEF.

Good info, though. Thanks.

Council Member

Just looked over the questions. For each question, they want a name and phone number for someone whom they can call to verify the information. This sounds like the most difficult part of the entire exam - finding phone numbers for people who have PCS'd twice and may or may not be deployed or living abroad or ETS'd.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    .....finding phone numbers for people who have PCS'd twice and may or may not be deployed or living abroad or ETS'd.
    AKO people search. Although for ETS'd folks its no help, but for the rest - and for retired - it can still help dredge up a few lost POCs.

Just looked over the questions. For each question, they want a name and phone number for someone whom they can call to verify the information. This sounds like the most difficult part of the entire exam - finding phone numbers for people who have PCS'd twice and may or may not be deployed or living abroad or ETS'd.
    I know this is a nightmare, I'm trying to find people to prepare my TS paperwork. AKO helped a lot, just like Jedburgh said; but you want to know where I found most people's info?

Facebook.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Use AKO White pages. Most people update their profile including address/position, and then cross-reference with whitepages.com or similar.

At a minimum you can get an organizational location/address from AKO.

Niel
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?