I realize this is an old thread, and a comprehensive one to boot.

Still...

I have the FSOT (Foreign Service Officer Test) Study Guide, 3rd Edition, copyright 2008. I think I am relatively well-prepared for the test in terms of educational background. That said, I was taken by how difficult the questions seemed (at least to me), and hence, wish to prepare myself further. The logical way to do it would seem, to me, to read the appropriate books. However, the "Suggested Study Materials" at the end of the Study Guide are too many to read in time for my exam, and moreover, I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of what to read in a somewhat time-constrained situation (I'm taking the exam in early June).

Thus, to get to the bottom line, do people have *specific* recommendations on what books or textbooks to obtain and study from with respect to the specific subjects covered on the exam? The study guide lists some, but again, there are too many to read in the time available, and I imagine they vary in quality as well. Any suggestions, particularly from those who have taken the exam on topics such as American history, economics, etc., would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff