The insulation of the national security establishment from the American public

conjoined with

as well as competition among factions within the body politic

1) If the national security establishment is insulated from the American public/body politic, then competition within factions (parties, classes, groups?) really shouldn't impact the national security establishment, should it? I'd think in terms of mass/elite models of decision-making. I think a literature review of, say, the American Political Science Review or American Journal of Political Science would cover (or maybe not) whether such a distinction is valid.

ensures that grand strategy decisions will be made within the context of domestic power politics

what does "within the context of domestic power politics" mean? Again, how can that be the case if the national security establishment is "insulated?" Finally, can grand strategy decisions ever be made *outside* the context of domestic power politics?

and for the benefit of the victor in such struggles.

as opposed to the benefit of the loser? :-)

My question would be, and I think I'm echoing John Fishel here: is this an exploratory hypothesis, meant to be tested, or something you've decided is the case, and have decided to document? I hope that doesn't come off as too mean, but I'd ponder it a bit.

OC