Thread: Russia & Iran

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Yeah, they might have something to gain. I'm just thinking that the cost might outweigh the benefit (fallout - no pun intended - of Iran getting nukes could be resurrection of the ABM shield in E. Europe; Iran would also probably start misbehaving, provoking ire of the rest of the mideast and west). And, of course, keep in mind my original disclosure.

That as well, but what I was also thinking was Russia possibly losing an ally and arms deals should we actually invade Iran, again if needed. From what I understand simply bombing their facilities would not suffice, a full scale invasion would be required. Anything less and they'll most likely strike Israel in retaliation and do much more to destabilize our efforts in Iraq. Not to mention the new underground facility that’s purposefully placed near their holy city, making bombing it an extremely tricky proposition. Thus, with that said would we not attempt to overthrow M. Ah. and install a new pro-western government, essentially giving us stronger influence in Iran (as we had in the past) and diminishing their strong ties with Russia as a result. Now if Russia does not believe that this administration would conduct such an attack if talks failed then that obviously changes everything.

Am I making some bad false assumptions here, or does that add up? From what I hear the initial meetings went well, but I haven’t found any specifics just yet.

Council Member

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Window on Eurasia: Putin Wants Israeli Attack on Iran Because That Would Send Oil Prices Up, Latynina Says

http://windowoneurasia.blogspot.com/...s-israeli.html

Ps During last week there have been in Russia couple articles about shale gas impact to Russian. Among other thing author asked if North Stram and South Stream pipeline projects have any point in the future. If this shale gas techonology will spread to Europe and China, then those are bad news for Russia's wallet.

1 article from Economist.

http://www.economist.com/business-fi...ry_id=15661889