Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
I'm not sure about this. If there are genuinely friendly villages, we can probably reinforce areas where CF can cover them, but in eastern Nuristan I'm under the impression that those are few and far between.

After seeing the recent Frontline episode on Helmand (see Abu Muqawama's blog) I'm not sure that plunking down bases in the middle of villages/populated areas is such a good idea any more. The locals know that those places are mortar and RPG magnets, and move away from them. After all, would you want to raise your kids in a place where slightly off-course rockets could kill them in the middle of the night?

Also, as to Ken's comment, totally agree. If we're already resupplying via rotary wing, why not put the base in a tactically sound position?
Good points IntelTrooper. Along with everyone else's. I don't know the situation in Nuristan, but I know my own experiences. What we did worked in Diyala. I made an ASSUMPTION that the same recourse could happen in Nuristan. I could definitely be wrong. That's why I appreciate the conversation here

On a side note, I'd be willing to get on a plane tonight and head out to hold Nuristan.

v/r

Mike