Thread: FOB Keating attack repulsed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Video of an attack on a U.S. COP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuZd5X11Ow8

Allegedly this is a video of an attack on a U.S. COP in N. Afghanistan. In my opinion it supports Ken's comments about the Hesko mentality. It "appears" that our guys were basically being hammered by mortar and rocket fire (then a large VBIED), while being forced to wait on air support to hopefully locate and neutralize their attackers, so from my armchair watching a video it seems like a terrrible way to fight, thus I can understand the frustration that the troops expressed.

It doesn't mean it wasn't there, but I didn't see any artillery or mortars returning fire from our camp?

No secret to anyone this terrain is very advantageous to the guerrilla fighter. I'm not sure what a perfect COP would look like in Afghanistan.

I totally agree -- but I betcha we differ on who ought to be doing those patrols while the Cadillacs do Cadillac things
    Ken, not so sure we would disagree, the best trained for the unilateral disruption patrols are probably Marine Recon and good U.S. Army light units. For the more serious deep targets (deliberate raids) the more specialized SOF. For the combined disruption activities I would push for SF, as you suggested indirectly there are some good lessons from the Vietnam era on what SF could do (Mike Forces being one of them).

The larger percentage of SF Cadillacs could be well suited to work the consolidation operations after larger forces cleared the area of larger enemy combat units. SF would then work with local security forces to root out the underground and provide security to development efforts as combat forces extend the oil spot. This would be the decisive phase. The younger studs would (this is missing 'not' I think) like it, but years later looking back on it with grayer hair they would realize their role was critical.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-11-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Comment on a missing word in penultimate paragraph