Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
First of all, blaming Burger King and Anthony's Pizza for fat service members is like blaming Glock and Springfield Armory for violent crime....

Second, I am not sure the point of all the "tooth to tail" arguments...

I suspect that some people are under the impression that reducing the size of the "tail" will increase the size of the "tooth" (teeth?). That just isn't the case....
Uboat, this post isn't totally directed at you, but your post made me think of it, so...

All your points are correct. Also, at least part of GEN McChrystal's decision was based on the fact that, given the limited inflow available into Afghanistan, the input required to support the myriad of AAFES concessions, etc, conflicted with the true requirements of getting the increased material needed to support the surge. Given this, I don't think any of the other discussions (tooth-v-tail, "luxury" for the large FOBs, etc) are even relevant. You have a limited supply line, you have to prioritize. First is ammo, food, water (if required), CL 8 and POL; second is the rest of the classes of supply that you need to continue to function; third is the "necessary" comforts that make a 12-15 month tour bearable (yeah, we could live like animals for that time, but why if we don't have to)- showers, CL 4 for living/working/eating area, MWR (internet/phones, gyms); everything else has to come after that, and if there is a conflict, the priority is easy to see.