Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
I don't disagree, but I have real doubts about our ability at any given point to reliably determine what is "right" and what is "smart."

I worry that once we declare something "smart," our ability to dispassionately assess that course of action will be impaired. That's no reason not to try, of course.
Sorry for this extended stay in Absentia! I'm on final approach with what I hope to be one of the most important books of the decade on balanced peacemaking, and it devours all of my non-work hours. (Or, more accurately, the book is the most important work I have - but it is severely limited by the work that is currently necessary for simple things like food.)

If I'm reading our comments correctly, I think there's a great deal of overlap on principle and a trend toward disagreement on semantics, i.e., "smart" power. I don't use the word "semantics" to trivialize the difference, though. In fact, it's a very important distinction that may lead to the improved understanding of smart power.

Your excerpted quotes above are, in my opinion, spot on. Some of the worst human abuses occur because someone who possesses some form of "hard" power (national authority, military might or IED) determines that his opinion is "right," his opponents' is wrong, and he has the self-appointed prerogative to use force. I don't want to overuse the cliche that Hitler has become, but...well, someone like Hitler.

The same is true, as you point out, for the term "smart." Once I get it in my head that my approach is smart, it may lead to the unconsciously logical conclusion that any other way is dumb. Maybe it would be helpful to use a generic term like "balanced." Ultimately, what I would like to see on the table is that simply because a nation owns a Department of State and a Department of Defense does not mean that nation is effectively leveraging all of its resources at optimal efficiency and in optimal proportions.

It seems to me that some of us in these fora (not you personally) dismiss discussions of "balancing" our methods for the simple fact that leadership has always involved aspects of diplomatic and military assets. My question to us is, "Then why isn't it working?"

- Rob
PS: How do I set my account to notify me when people reply? I'm an idiot.